The three week shutdown reprieve of today is merely a pragmatic survival measure by saner heads in the administration

Like what? That is affordable and reliabale (reliable as in can provide ALL the electric needs to a community, city, county, state)

Nuclear a single plant can provide enough power for dozen of sub station across a state.
Hydroelectric single plant can provide power for dozen of sub station
Geothermal is quite good tech is advancing fast.

and a single reactor can run for 60 + years before having to be shutdown and produce more power then any other type of plant.

What states donā€™t have water?

Yeah I heard about freeports about ten years ago somewhere. Thatā€™s a separate issue really and a lot of investment firms recommend against them, or at least claim to. A tax on wealth probably couldnā€™t touch them without other laws directly targeting freeports. Good luck passing thatā€¦ā€¦ā€¦

Glad you see the situation clearly. The cheer leading for either side is premature. Three weeks is a very short breakā€¦bit of a cooling off period as you might have in union negotiations.

Getting back to the OP, I donā€™t think it was saner GOPā€™ers that explained the funding crisis to the President or very bad things would happen. I donā€™t think he cares about the little people whose lives he was wrecking.

I think someone whispered in his ear: ā€œDude, you canā€™t have airport/airline problems during the Super Bowel it will make you look bad on TV.ā€. It was his narcissistic tendencies that won out.
.^^^^

More likely, congressional GOP members said open it or we will help democrats do so with a veto proof majority, totally your call Mr President.

The economy grew at a faster pace when the top marginal rate was higher. A marginal rate of 70% on income over $10 million is not some extreme idea.

A small tax on wealth above $50 million is not an extreme idea. By and large, this wealth is extracted from the economy and does nothing of economic value.

1 Like

Nopeā€¦trump caved to Pelosiā€¦
The gop screamed at pence saying they where going to buck the president hours before his speechā€¦

Lol, first of all back when the marginal rate was that high, the effective tax rate wasnā€™t much higher than it is now, there were a lot of write offs. Secondly, WWII had just wiped out the manufacturing capacity of much of the rest of the world and there were also far fewer countries with the necessary infrastructure to support same. Lastly, leaving the US was onerous, you were cut off from US culture, leaving the country meant giving up a lot of the things you were used to having.

And yes, taxing net worth is an extreme idea, itā€™s unconstitutional.

1. so?
    2)well thatā€™s not what they purposed but of course letā€™s ignore that for the bumper sticker
    3)tariffs and inflation doing that nowā€¦
    4)yes but you dont make 50 million and never willā€¦it has nothing to do with you.

No, yesterdayā€™s action was Trump caving on his wall.

The tally now is:

Nancy 2
Trump 0

Trump to repeat face plant in 3 weeks. Partisans cheer him onā€¦

thank-you-sir-may-i-have-another-gif-7

Iā€™d count it as a victory that we didnā€™t allow the president to shut down govt to pass a bill. That sort of behavior has to be nipped in the bud. Donā€™t you agree?

I hate to say it but I agree if there is one thing Donald Trump is well known for itā€™s his pragmatism

I love how my post of a billionaire agreeing with the wealth tax got flagged to oblivion.

1 Like

It triggers people :man_shrugging:

There are few things more hated by so called conservatives then rich people agreeing with higher taxesā€¦

Germany gets almost 7% of their power from solar despite it not being an especially sunny area.

How does a city/county/state determine the immigration status of someone?