“The single greatest national security threat right now is our internal division.”

Wishful thinking. Deal with the reality of the Biden presidency. Nancy as speaker and chuckie as majority leader for the next two years.

Allan

Do you still believe that. How would that be accomplished?

Breaking the nation up I do not realistically believe can be done.

How do you deal with the major division in the country.

Allan

More disgusting than citizens invading the capitol during a peaceful constitutional count of the electoral votes.

Allan

I believe Rose used the word ‘division’ intentionally; as opposed to ‘difference’. Unifying in spite of difference is high minded and very American. Dividing over difference is neither.

Frankly I used to find these threads fantasizing about civil war and violence a lot more entertaining before our Capitol building was attacked.

1 Like

Interesting statement. From where do you get that idea?

What does it change? Is it not a fantasy anymore?

Entirely my own inferences of which I cannot document. But for now: 1913. 50 years after Pickett’s Charge. Remaining survivors gathered together on that hallowed ground to reenact the fateful moment. As former Union soldiers and Confederate soldiers neared one another, many rushed into each other’s arms and wept. In unity.

Ah, combat veterans. There have been other cases like that as well; with the Vietnamese for example.

They tried it a few years ago with Texas Ranger and Comanches. That one didn’t work well.

I had the opportunity to chat with a former Major from the Panamanian Defense Force a few years ago in a different setting.

I would offer combat creates a special case.

Good answer, surprised me.

The problem with two states is geographical. East and west cost liberals wouldn’t have any geographic connection.

That’s why I chose 3.

Thank you, Sneaky. So the next question would be, ‘what is it combat veterans know about difference and division and the costs therein that we (meaning me) do not?’ And mightn’t that something make them better suited to sit atop a country founded on difference?

internal division… corrupting the children with that new math

I agree totally.

The thing is the left won’t care.

Hundreds of nights of fire, vandalism, destructive behavior in multiple cities this summer ended up with Chris Cuomo asking “where is it written that protest has to be non violent?” I got stuck in a room with CNN on for an hour or so on Weds, (I despise CNN, what a collection of hacks and frauds. I have no idea what they will report on when Trump is gone). Their coverage was so over the Trump condemning anyone who had ever supported Trump.

What happened Weds was awful…(I m still not convinced the folks from antifa and BLM didn’t sneak into that crowd). What happened Weds is not a reason to condemn and try to silence half the country.

3 Likes

I believe it’s even more likely to happen now than I did then.

Anything can be broken apart. It’s just a matter of how much force is needed. Ideally no force should be needed. Mobil assets should be moved out from states that want to depart and they should go on their merry way.

I don’t get your last question. Splitting would be dealing with the division.

That’s not true I and many conservatives/libertarians not only disagreed with that war, but are non interventionist at heart, one can’t simply paint a whole party with a broad brush.

You can however look at individual politicians voting records on war and see where they personally stand. One can start with president elect Biden.

This would just be my take on it:

War is horrific. It doesn’t matter if your side won or lost, it still scars you deep. Some things can only be shared by others that share the same scars.

1 Like

No. It’s mutual respect through shared adversity. Professionalism. One knows what it took for the other one to get good.

1 Like

I think the definition of “problem” is too subjective. What constitutes a “problem” changes based on the person and situation. In this context, my answer varies:

Are radical Trump supporters a problem in that they are an immediate threat to me? No.

Are radical Trump supporters a problem in that there is a non-zero chance they could become an immediate threat to me? Maybe although hopefully unlikely.

Are radical Trump supporters a problem in that they continue the tone of increasing division between Americans, using false information and conspiracy theories to do so? Yes. Other groups are also a problem in that context.

No problem. I know some like to equate the two. I don’t think that serves any purpose at this point.

“Love it or leave it” may have different meanings to different people. To me, it has meant “this is the way things are, if you don’t like it, your only option is to leave.” That is very similar to the all or nothing mentality. It’s our way or you can take a hike.

It doesn’t have to be full war or even lengthy. Things like the Gulf War and immediate post 9/11 period were fairly unifying. The space race, moon landings and early years of the space shuttle were unifying. I wouldn’t say all politics is radicalized. I would say the radicalized elements are much more apparent given social media, news networks, syndicated talk radio, etc.

Not the subgroups. Are white people a problem of any size? Trump supporters?

No they weren’t.

1 Like