The science of search engines

You mean like some sort of “Fairness Doctrine”?

Yes…but I’d lean more towards labeling it “equal treatment for all”…

Do you support an “equal treatment for all” doctrine for talk radio, as well?

If there should be a law saying that Google has to be “fair”, would that apply to Breitbart, too?

Are you not equating two things together? The goal is the quest for freedom and equality for all. Brietbart is protected by the 1st Amendment, are subject to libel laws and their work is printed for all to see. It’s honest and equal in that respect. Google is not out in the open and it isn’t regarding their free speech being prohibited that we’re discussing. It’s their unequal treatment of others or the question as whether or not it’s happening being answered and verified. I’m not Mr. Computer savvy but I don’t believe there are records that can be checked for equal search treatment? I don’t even know if or how it could be administered? If they are intentionally manipulating the data, then I would think there’s a path to stopping the inequality and equalizing it.

Why don’t you think Google’s search results are protected by the First Amendment?

Or, for the sake of clarity - why do you think Google’s search results are not protected by the First Amendment?

Why do they need to be equal?

Under what pretense does the government have the authority to dictate what is and isn’t in Google’s algorithms?

Is Breitbart required to publish what other people want them to publish?

The First Amendment to the United States Constitution prevents Congress from making any law respecting an establishment of religion, prohibiting the free exercise of religion, or abridging the freedom of speech, the freedom of the press, the right to peaceably assemble, or to petition for a governmental redress of grievances. It was adopted on December 15, 1791, as one of the ten amendments that constitute the Bill of Rights.

IMO Google is “abridging the freedom of speech”.

Google can abridge free speech all day long and it doesn’t violate the first amendment. CONGRESS is prevented from abridging freedom of speech, not companies…

Google is not Congress.

On the other hand, if Congress were to pass a “fairness doctrine” that abridged Google’s freedom of speech to show whatever results they wanted, that would be a violation of the First.

It’s a whole new arena and needs to be reexamined and what I’m proposing is for fair and equal treatment for all. How can you be against that?

Are you proposing we remove the first amendment?

Because you’re demanding that the government enforce your version of “fairness”.

It should be Congress’s version of fairness.

Because your narrow focus makes it nonsensical, any rational person sees the slippery slope and “fairness doctrine” issues it would invoke.

Because it restricts feeedom of speech.

Would be ruled unconstitutional in a heartbeat…

What happens if Congress decides that your opinion is “unfair”?

Why do right wingers get this so wrong so often? The 1st amendment prevents the GOVERNMENT from abridging free speech. You and I can abridge free speech all day long.

Then there would be an explanation that I’m confident would be logical and I could then better understand my…faulty logic.