The richest 10% of households now represent 70% of all U.S. wealth

What about North Korea?

Yeah. Why is our Pres french kissing NK?

Strawman again. Shock. Surprise.

Speaking of “There’s a shock.”

So what are you saying here … that we are doomed and there is not a damn thing anyone can do about it? The flaw in your reasoning is the same flaw you had at the beginning of this thread. Wealth is not fixed … “they” can accumulate all the wealth they want without taking any wealth from you.

1 Like

When was the last time a poor person was nominated to run for President?

What’s the interest rate on the loan for your old car? I just paid off the loan on my car in April … I took a loan instead of paying cash because the interest I was getting (am getting) on my fixed-return cash was 2.1% higher than the rate on the loan. Perhaps you need to change bankers.

Exactly. Well said.

M

1 Like

Until they can no longer do it because the bigger players have changed the rules so they can’t even enter the same market to compete for their own share of that market. Money doesn’t grow on trees Samm. In order for anyone to make money, someone else has to spend it first.

Sure. It’s not like these people are buying up all the banks. When every job has the same employer, you’ll still be there suggesting everyone just get another job too. :roll_eyes:

Modern-day Republicanism.

It’s a sight to behold. There was a time when Republicans at least paid lip service to the notion that America was about broadly distributed opportunity. Where anyone can make it. Yet, faced with ever increasing evidence that the American dream is being consolidated to the point of ludicrousness, the modern-day Republican honors that as a laudable outcome.

“A rising tide lifts all boats.” That’s what Republicans once uttered during my lifetime. Sure, it was widely derided at the time as phoning it in. But, at least it was a little bit of the old college try.

No more.

I have done just fine on my own without paying “them” any mind at all. Perhaps you would do better too if you ignored what “they” have and minded your own store. The bottom line is, “their” accumulation of wealth has no bearing on your ability to accumulate as much wealth as you need to be happy.

1 Like

I don’t care who owns the bank if they give me a better interest rate than I am receiving on my fixed-rate investments.

Some people just can’t see how damaging monopolies and concentration of power can be.

These are many of the same arguments that were made in the mid 1920s when things were roaring and the people on our side of the argument went down with everyone else.

A rising tide lifts all boats. Just as true today as it has always been in this great country.

1 Like

He was referring to me. I’m assuming he had me pegged as someone who wasn’t a Marxist. I took that as a compliment. :+1:

You are the one who keeps talking about those supposed followers that us Republicans will be joining some day when we wake up and take the fingers out of our ears.

You sound to me very much like a Marxist and you don’t seem to shy away from that observation. As to degrees of Marxism, in my book you either are or you aren’t a Marxist. In that regard, I don’t think you will find much company in this country.

Its some of both. There are some people who simply don’t have the unique skills or abilities to earn enough to save anything.
There are a lot of others who want to live as high as they can and they choose to always be in debt. I have always kept a car about 10 years. I have always paid cash for my new cars when I got them. I have always lived in a house that was not the most expensive and biggest that I could go out and get in debt to own. Some other people I worked with never had a car over 3 years old, and always had the biggest houses.
Now I am retired and live quite well (IMO) off of my pension plus investment income.
I’m not saying their choices were not reasonable. They wanted it NOW. Just don’t come to me and tell me you need to take my assets because I have more than some others.

1 Like

I too pay cash for my new cars; kind of.

I found that if I walk in and offer to pay cash then those special incentives and other goodies totaling a few thousand dollars (eerily similar to the cost of interest) suddenly disappear. To counteract that slight of hand, I go in and make it clear that I want the most expensive finance plan available, with cheapest payments. They are more than happy to throw in all of the incentives and goodies, believing they will make them back in the interest payments.

When the first payment comes due, I write them a check for the full amount, paying the car off in full. Win; win.

Cad!..

1 Like