The real face of Tariffs

Maybe more this one:

Early in 2018, as U.S. dairy producers were wallowing in an extended period of low milk prices, expectations were that milk prices would slowly recover through the balance of 2018. Then trade disputes and tariffs through a wrench in those plans, throwing the expectations of a price recovery into limbo.

https://www.milkbusiness.com/article/milk-price-recovery-hinges-on-these-three-factors

Manure is a huge problem with it getting into drinking water. That farmer is in Door County and he was “forced” to put in that system by the county. Not some Big Government.

Door County is atop a slab of bedrock called the Niagara Escarpment. There’s no where for manure to go, it has to be treated somehow.

I vacation there. The homes all have storage systems for waste water, and has to get sucked out by a truck once a month or whatever and taken for treatment. There is literally no where for sewage or manure to go because 70 feet of bedrock is just below everything there.

1 Like

Conan, please tell us how that $1,600 dollar manure system lost the industry 1.8 billions dollars; that was a good one!

https://www.dairyherd.com/article/dairy-industry-loses-18-billion-due-tariffs-aid-may-not-help

BTW, how many cows have you milked this week?

Gawd. That was last year. Says so right there. Do you people even bother to read your own links? What does it say the tariffs are going to do this year?

But yet none of it has to do with tariffs.

Relatively slow production growth in the northern hemisphere. USDA pegged July milk production at just a 0.4% growth over July 2017, due to fewer cow numbers and a smaller increase in production per cow than expected. 

The herd reduction is an indication of producers selling off cows in a response to low milk prices. “Weak margins early in the year are now showing up in a decline in the dairy herd during the second half of 2018,” Donnay says. He expects the herd to decline a few thousand head per month over the balance of the year.

With regard to production per cow, Donnay says that over the past 12 months milk production per cow has been about 20 pounds per cow below trend. Prior to 2015, Donnay says, production grew at about a 1.5% growth rate. Since 2015, that growth has slowed to about 1%. However, production of milk components continues to grow at a faster rate than trend would suggest. Donnay says that this could be due to a growth in Jerseys and crossbreds in the national herd.

“We have to assume going forward that the growth in production per cow will run at a slower pace than it has historically,” Donnay says. “That slower growth is being made up from a faster growth in component production.”

Domestic demand. A few factors point to an increase in domestic demand. Kids are going back to school, which means more product going into school lunches. Football season is upon us as well, so pizza sales will increase. And the holidays are just around the corner, which will bolster butter demand. 

Global demand. Export markets have slowed, with the Global Dairy Trade trending downward 5 times in the last 6 auctions, including down 6% last week. Donnay says major exporters are dealing with weak global demand, particularly from China. Current low prices on the GDT and particularly from New Zealand are likely impacted by the decreased Chinese demand growth. 

But at the same time they’re predict slight increase in milk prices.

||Aug-2018|15.03S|+0.03|
||Sep-2018|16.21S|+0.16|
||Oct-2018|16.34S|+0.04|

Why I’m I wasting my time with you again. You lied to me while back about having family members that were farmers.

Yes it was last year.

But here is the prediction.

Even better, China’s appetite for cheese is continuing to grow. Expectations are that the country could become the Number 1 cheese market destination in 10 years—or less, adds Ross Christieson, USDEC business unit director for North Asia.

Too bad there won’t be any farmers left :frowning:

After you libs have driven em out.

Funny how libs are pretending to care about farmers now…libs see em as backward right wing hillbillies that they look down on.

1.8 billion lost due to tariffs, hundreds of farms, and Conan just mocks them. SICK!

I don’t play your games, but my family has been far more successful in agriculture than you could ever hope to be.

Why do you think I lied to you?

Everyone agrees that falling demand for milk has resulted in lower prices. You should read your own sources.

I call BS…beside I wasn’t all that successful.

I got out when I was 18.

Well too bad, my family is effected; almonds and walnuts In CA and multiple crops in Iowa, but mainly our vineyard.

How many cows have you milked this week you poser?

We will have to wait to 2020 to elect a new President. But I will be voting for a Democrat for Senator later on this year. I recently left the GOP, and I strongly disagree with the Trump tariffs.

why would a spoiled rich kid from New York care about dairy farmers?

But, but, but………the tariffs created 800 steel mill jobs!

Winning!

If you had a clue you would know that TPP was doing some of that.

The trade deal between Canada and the EU was doing it more but the white nationalists idiots in Italy are screwing that up.

Trump… Winning…