The Rapture and the Real World: Mike Pompeo Blends Beliefs and Policy

But no secretary of state in recent decades has been as open and fervent as Mr. Pompeo about discussing Christianityand foreign policy in the same breath. That has increasingly raised questions about the extent to which evangelical beliefs are influencing American diplomacy.

Interesting article. Seems like Mr. Wong thinks there’s some bias there which can’t be set aside.

I’m always weary about people in power talking about the end days, rapture, etc. It always makes me wonder if you are acting in such a way as to hasten what you appear to believe is an inevitability.

Did you read the article?

A few days ago. Like I said, people like this in positions of power definitely concern me.

Mr. Pompeo talks about the rapture. “We will continue to fight these battles,” he said at a [“God and Country Rally”in 2015, because there is a “never-ending struggle” until “the rapture.”

Why?

Yeah. I am not sure why I would vote for anyone who thinks that we may be in the end times.

Pompeo is a shameless Trump bootlicker. It’s pathetic, really. I have zero respect for the man.

Because people who dictate policy based on fantasy are not in the best interest of the United States?

1 Like

If you are the type of person who believes we are approaching the end times and that Rapture is upon us, it strikes me as a distinct possibility that you might act to make that a reality. As a secular individual, I really don’t want my future determined by people seeking to make their religious fantasies come to life.

1 Like

These are the same people who claim to love Israel even though they believe all Jews are condemned to Hell. They go on tours to see where Armageddon will take place. The Israelis laugh at them behind their backs.

1 Like

The Rapture is a plot device from a novel.

Why some Christians have seized upon it as something real is disturbing.

3 Likes

Ah the dangers of religion…praise allah and people would be losing their minds

Fantasy. Huh.

If you believe, then you know you have absolutely zero influence. Your comments strike me as ignorant.

So you guys don’t want Christians in government. I get that.

What do you want in government, people who believe only in themselves? Faith in government?

That’s the theory.

That’s not how it works in reality.

That’s not how it even worked in the Bible.

Think Abram, Sarai, and Hagar.

Yeah Jay, it is. It’s exactly how it works.

People that dont guide governmental policies based on their own personal religious beliefs Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Satanists, Buddhist, or any other.

Besides its not like every Christian religion believes in a rapture…

No- it doesn’t.

I grew up Seventh-Day Adventist, there is no belief in an existing heaven or hell, the great tribulation will consist of forced Sunday worship, the Catholic Church is the great beast and the United States is the image of the beast who will enforce it.