The Presidential townhall with George Stephanopoulos

It is impossible to insult the intelligence of a Trump supporter.

1 Like

A very astute observation.

1 Like

and last i checked scientist were looking at the plateauing of cases there and theorizing that herd immunity has enough of an effect at levels under 20% to control the spread of the virus enough to not overwhelm health care systems. I believe its closer to 30% and that at a number a little higher than that you’d see cases decrease. Not permanently, but enough that Covid at that point really would be not much different than the common flu. Not the same, but not that much different.

If we sought herd immunity it would cost us the lives of 3 million Americans.

gone? it will never be gone. its a respiratory virus. vaccine or no vaccine covid is not going to “disappear”. I really do wish the President would stop saying that. What it will do is follow the natural course and become a seasonal illness much like the flu. People will catch it every year, people will die from it every year, like the flu, with a vaccine and some level of herd immunity it will just be another virus to deal with. One difference here is there doesn’t seem to be as yet, any need for different vaccine strains. If that holds, it will be easier to deal with and be a “lesser flu”.

Folks here know it.

:wink:

1 Like

This is more than likely acceptable for the pro-life president and his flock.

2 Likes

no, it would not. I know thats the talking point, but that talking point is based on the idea that herd immunity requires 80-85% infection rates. What sweeden and brazil are teaching us is it doesn’t. Something in the 20% range is enough to plateau it, I would imagine the 40% range would see numbers decrease dramatically.

I am not arguing for herd immunity, I want a vaccine, but the dire projections are based on apparently false assumptions. Aside from that, without a vaccine herd immunity is the only way to “beat” this, and all we’re doing is prolonging the inevitable. Without a vaccine or effective therapeutics the exact same number of people will die from COVID, it’ll just take longer to get there. Advances in therapeutics make it worth delaying.

1 Like

who said this?

“And if we did follow that [herd immunity] approach, I think we might have two million people dead.”

1 Like

Pro-life ends once the subject leaves the womb. Come on man! How else can one be pro-life AND pro-death penalty?

1 Like

Herd immunity Trumps herd TDS mentality :smirk:

Definition of herd immunity…
resistance to the spread of an infectious disease within a population that is based on pre-existing immunity of a high proportion of individuals as a result of previous infection or vaccination.

I didn’t see the interview but if President Trump said that herd immunity protects from viruses like covid he was right and I wouldn’t buy into the mentality of TDS rhetoric… just saying. :woman_shrugging:t2:

Only the best excuses, from the best people. People are saying…

Here is trump stating herd immunity will kill 2 million Americans. Did you believe him then?

https://twitter.com/therecount/status/1306249182307659777?s=21

1 Like

I understand people are sick of having to wear seatbelts and washing their hands in public restrooms too.

When I was in college, during the pledge process of my fraternity we had this very short poem called, “Excuses”. Each organization of the Divine 9 have their own version of this. The version I learned goes…“Excuses are tools of the mentally incompetent, used to build monuments of nothing. Those that use them seldom and rarely amount to a thing. Excuses!”. With this president and all these supporters that defend him, all I’m hearing and reading are excuses. He doesn’t take no responsibility for failures and they don’t hold him accountable, all both do is give excuses.

2 Likes

what do i care who said it? i’m not arguing in support of anyone else’s opinion. whether trump said it or fauci or pelosi is immaterial. without a vaccine or effective therapeutic, reaching herd immunity would require the exact same number of infections and deaths whether it was done in 6 months or 3 years, I don’t support that approach because delaying it gives us time to develop therapeutics and vaccines. Therapeutics will save lives, so without a vaccine while it will take the same number of infections, fewer will die. A vaccine gets us there quicker and saves lives. At the same time, we do have to eat, live and work. We have to have a balance. We can neither sacrifice nor save every life. Attempting to do either is madness.

1 Like

Why didn’t Biden do something?

1 Like

I find it hard to believe anyone who repeatedly says “believe me.” Maybe that’s just me though. Usually, people who speak the truth say things like “see for yourself” or “look it up”, but “believe me”? That’s pretty much a canard reserved for charlatans and con men. Go figure.

3 Likes

This is true. I think it’s safe to say they’re pro-birth, definitely not pro-life. Even the pro-birth part is questionable, depending on what side of the tracks one is from.

3 Likes

I saw the clip and was going to post a disclaimer that it appears the President did slip using the word mentality instead of immunity, but since I don’t suffer TDS I know exactly what he meant and HEY it gave me a new way to describe those that suffer TDS, which seems to be a “herd” thing here on this forum.