The Personal Defensive Weapon

Actually, I think I’ve been smart. Street smarts do count for something.

I don’t begrudge folks from protecting themselves but it just seems that people that live in rural areas are more likely to have guns at home for protection.

Have you though?

PDW is a class of gun that DHS was seeking to buy. The terminology used was technical, not descriptive of purpose.

No, it was developed from the stoner AR10.

The Semi Auto AR-15 was the civilian semi auto variant developed from the AR 10/M 16 platform.

It is both technical and descriptive as it encompasses a specific class of weapons designated for personal defense.

Somehow magically though when a civilian takes up the same or even an inferior semi auto version of the same class of weapons we must attach a negative connotation to the weapon for the purposes of demonizing it and those who purchase/build/own them.

Bzzt.

The AR-10 was chambered for 7.65. The military didnt like that, so Stoner’s assistants scaled it down to .223, named it the AR-15, then sold it to the military as the M-16.

The stoner AR10 was the original, the other variants were all developed off of it.

No doubt.

But the rifle that holds the military designation M-16 is called the AR-15, not the AR-10.

No, the Military designation is M4 or M16.

Only the semi auto made for the civilian market is designated as the AR15.

Really?

I think it’s bull. The mere fact that they label some weapons as personal defense weapon others not is all ■■■■■■■■■

…in an active war.

As I said earlier in this thread, my friend has an FN PS90. It’s a lot of fun to shoot.

But you’re just falling into the standard gunist arguments. That’s not the topic of this thread.

Why do YOU feel the need to tell what others needs are?

It’s duplicitous as hell.

The civilian versions are used for sport shooting/hunting and self/personal defense while the LEO’/Military versions are actually used by assault forces.

1 Like

Again, incorrect.

The gun was developed by Armalite as the AR-15. It only became the M-16 after they sold it to the US military.

:rofl:

The military defined the term. If you disagree with the name, take it up with them.

No I’m not incorrect and you’re just clinging hoping for some technical victory.

The Army doesn’t and never did issue the AR15, they issued the M16 and M4 carbine and the AR15 was sold on the civilian market as a semi auto only firearm.

:rofl:

Yes, you are incorrect.

After the Korean War, the Pentagon wanted to find a replacement for the M1 Garand. The M14 filled that role for a little while, but the military was still actively seeking new rifles. Enter Stoner and Armalite. They brought out the AR-10, only to find that the Pentagon wanted their new rifle chambered for 5.56.

So they went back to the office, and started coming up with a new model of the AR-10 scaled down to 5.56. What they came up with was the AR-15.

A short time after that, they sold the AR-15 to the Pentagon, and when it was brought into service, it was designated the M16.

My point is - it was the AR-15 before it was the M16.

Why do YOU feel the need to start an argument where none exists?

Good lord man read your own damned citation.

The Army experimented with the AR15, found it lacking and gave Armalite spec’s for the M16.

The M16 had serious issues in the jungle enviroment so the A-1 was developed with the forward assist and dust cover.

The A2/A3 came along much ligher as precision and NV optics became the standard.

The Army never issued the AR15, the first issue version as the M16 followed by the M4.

That pretty well seemed to be your intent Bob.

1 Like

Nope, I just asked a question and was genuinely interested.