The NFL needs to scrap its anthem policy all together

It’s all about $. The fans pay, the players play and if there’s money left over…it’s a happy day.

Business 101A

I don’t think it’s reasonable for any employer to dictate that an employee must perform an act of patriotism, or any other proof of devotion, in order to get paid with the alternative of being segregated from the rest of the employees. I’m not an NFL player, but it’s not hard to figure out their thoughts on the matter.

You need to explain more otherwise I’m having to make assumptions on what your point it.

They are paid to play football well to get more viewers and fans in the seats.
But honestly, from interviews and things I’ve heard, some owners don’t really care as much about the money as just winning. This is all just a real world fantasy football league they get to play to hold over their billionaire friends.

Then THAT is the argument you should be using.

I was challenging your attempt to require certain criteria upon someone with whom you disagreed. If you apply a requirement on someone, it should equally apply to you.

The actions of a few players was detrimental to the amount of revenue generated by fans. It didn’t cost the players a dime. They get paid either way. It did cost the owners though…hence, there new rule.

Using that same logic but in reverse, the players were performing an act that was viewed as unpatriotic. Why should the owners have to suffer the financial consequences of their actions? If you don’t think a player should be forced to be patriotic, certainly you don’t think the owners should be forced to accept what’s considered unpatriotic…right?

No laws are being broke, And businesses can legally restrict its employees many things.

Does that make it morally right?

The players are using this peaceful protest to highlight the fact that people of color are being treated unequal in the eyes of the law. It has been documented repeatedly over the last several years. (thanks to everyone now carrying a video camera), even though it has been happening for decades.

The NFL is screwing this up badly.

Not sure which is worse…this, or allowing and hiding its “product” basically kill itself, in order to keep the dollars rolling in.

Exactly. Under the new rule the team can be fined but it gives the owners the option to turn around and fine the players. They/players now have some skin in the game money wise.

You can argue “morally right” till the cows come home but if something I was doing had cost my company money they would have fired me in a heart beat.

Anyone that sees a flag and isn’t in an upright position with their buttcheeks clenched is disrespecting our troops.

Does it make it morally wrong to tell the players to protest on their own time?

i think it is morally wrong for NFL owners to silence the players, who are just trying to change a massive wrong that is happening today to people of color.

It is much more effective to make their statement for the 30 seconds it takes in the beginning of the game, than almost any other platform.

Do you think it’s morally wrong for the players to inflict economic pain on their owners without sharing any of that pain themselves. Where’s their skin in the game? When things are being done for professional reasons, IMO that’s the arena. When you punch out and you’re on your own time, the world is your arena. Now go make a statement on your time and with your dime.

1 Like

A person has every right to be as patriotic or unpatriotic as they’d like. Spectators of the game have every right to watch or not watch for whatever reason that they’d like. Saying it’s justified for an employer to force an employee to perform a patriotic act at the whims of a spectator in the name of money is not OK.

Are you saying this is just “the customers always right?” If this is an employer bowing to the wishes of a customer in order to make more money while sacrificing the perceived rights of the employees, where do you draw the line?

Economic pain?

You think the NFL owners are hurting financially?

There needs to be some pain, for change to happen.

Major changes usually only occur, if there is some sort of pain or discomfort.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Like refusing to bake a cake for a gay couple?

How many “people of color” (what a stupid, racist term) have been shot by NFL owners since … oh say … time began?

My employer didn’t run a bakery they were eons bigger than that. Fortune 500 company.

Nice deflection!