The Morality of Immigration

So they are going to set up affordable private housing in cities with expensive rents?

Themistocles was making the same argument about his polis 2500 years ago. I don’t think he was right then, but the argument obviously hasn’t been settled. I can’t think of a society in history that wasn’t improved through immigration, nor one which did not scapegoat immigrants in times of famine or poverty.

They’ll set up housing wherever the market dictates it.

I fully agree.

Immigration is a net positive. This country wouldn’t be where it is now without immigration.

The issue is that it has to be controlled.

I’m for clamping down on illegal immigration while making it easier to immigrate legally.

There’s only two cities in America which could realistically be described as overcrowded and neither of them are hotbeds to migrant workers.

i would certainly trade enhanced penalties for illegal immigration if it meant a major loosening of legal immigration rules

Well, there’s something we disagree with completely.

Which cities are overcrowded? I would identify San Francisco and Manhattan as the only two which do not have space to accommodate more people in their current configurations.

New York and Boston are probably the two. There’s only so much space in the areas they are located.

Most other big cities like Dallas-Ft. Worth and Miami still have plenty of room to expand. They won’t become overcrowded for several decades.

There are already LEGAl and illegal seasonal migrant workers that work in agriculture. How many more do they need?

next question, who is going to spend a lot of money on apartments that are only rented seasonally and empty the rest of the time?

Ah forgot about San Fran.

lol I forgot about Boston

A lot, according to farmers.

GARCIA: So Tom Deardorff has had to compete for workers. He’s raised their pay by actually quite a lot. Back in 2006, working the celery field paid about $8.70 an hour. Now it pays more than $21 an hour. We couldn’t speak to any of the workers on Tom’s farm. But Tom says his workers all are documented and that even doubling wages hasn’t solved the labor problem.

Have you ever been to a college town?

In fairness to Doug there is the quality of life issue in some cities when it comes to the current population. In that sense some may become “overcrowded” sooner than later. But that is because of how they are currently set up. Most big cities have large suburbs with millions of commuters who drive into the city center for work. Atlanta is a good example. It is a traffic nightmare and it’s nowhere near as large as Dallas-Ft. Worth.

The younger generations are moving back into the cities and are taking public transit or walking/biking. In that scenario the traffic congestion will ultimately lessen as long as current populations don’t explode.

Ah. Your definition of overcrowded is if there is no more space for anyone. Mine is more like if traffic is awful due to the number of people stuck in a small area. How many people who live in metroplexes look around them and say “Oh, if there were only a million more people here, it would be such a better place to live.”
I guess if “Soylent Green” looks like the world you are looking for…

Here’s the deal in a nutshell…there are laws and these illegal aliens are breaking them. Enforce the laws or change them…period. Also, prosecute any and all businesses that hire illegals that do not have legal permission to work here but set the enforcement intent at a specific time down the road so that businesses will have a chance to respond doing it legally. The laws have been so lax for so long, I can understand businesses hiring them due to their competition doing so. Due to our laws not being enforced has placed many businesses in a bad position. Let’s get it corrected on BOTH sides of our borders.

I live in Dallas. I lived here 50 years ago. IMO, it is overcrowded. Yes, they can and they are building more apartment complexes. More overcrowded, IMO.

Live in a town with a small college. College can’t grow because no one is willing to invest in houseing that will sit empty during the summer.

So the local college is trying to entice a developer. Land that will be rented for $1 a year. Developer will get subsidized rent for 20 years.

Don’t know if anyone is going to take the offer. They have to recoup all their investment in 20 years because the way the request for proposals is written, subsidies end after 20 years and then the developer will have to set rates according to what profit they want to make then.

Everyone has a different opinion on what constitutes overcrowded.

I lived in Jackson for nearly a year and I found it to be overcrowded. And it only has a population of around 130,000.

But I also grew up in a rural area where you had to ride an ATV to the neighbor’s house and the closest town had a population of less than 1500.

So those of us who grow up rural often have troubles adjusting to large cities since everything feels psychotic. As much as I loved visiting New York I could never live there.

The population density of Venice in 1300 was many, many times greater than the current population density of Manhattan today. People flock to cities for economic opportunities. New people mean new opportunities. Migrants who do go to cities would be both potential sources of revenue and potential entrepreneurs, just like they were for a hundred years when they came from Europe.