The Morality of Immigration

probably because no one wants to live in Utah because there’s nothing there.

Well, clearly some people make money off of cheap labor…I’m not arguing that point. I am talking quality of life.

This keeps coming up and it has to be the biggest steaming pile I have ever heard. There is no such thing as jobs Americans won’t take. It’s jobs Americans won’t take for the crap pay they’re offering. Let’s not pretend Americans have some higher standard to what they’ll do and not do. But they do require a certain level of conditions and compensation for what they’re willing to do.

Good news!

I’m currently advocating for a universal basic income in another thread. I gotchu fam.

There’s plenty here.

Reason why a part of Utah is being called the ‘silicon slopes’.

you should scroll up a little bit and read the NPR article I posted about farm labor in California. Farmers all over America are offering very good pay and they can’t get Americans to show up and/or stay for the season.

That sounds like something people from Utah tell themselves to feel better.

Like when Ryan moved to Ohio and claimed it was the “silicon prairie”.

1 Like

Open borders where everyone in the world has a decent wage for their work.
Can we have rainbows and unicorns too?

I know. What a horrendous future! We should work towards the exact opposite.

Obviously you don’t know what’s going on in Utah then.

Blissfully unaware.

1 Like

A whole bunch of the silicon valley companies have open branch offices in Utah, and are expanding them. Only reason they aren’t growing faster here is the lack of develop-able land to put buildings and homes on.

Done. Let me quote some stuff from your article.

It is really hard and dangerous work, 10-hour days swinging a knife in the hot sun.”

Only one place did they mention pay. 21 dollars an hour might not get you the desired results. That’s not very good pay, it’s ok pay. What would you rather do, make 15-20 dollars an hour (tips included) delivering pizza or cut celery in the hot sun for 10 hour shifts for 21 an hour? Up that dollar amount, they’ll come.

Grab them by the ■■■■■■

$21 an hour puts you above the median income for a single worker in America.

Yep. Looks like the future headquarters for Facebook.

I’m impressed. How do you respond so quickly? You are the man!!

As far as your point, forget where that puts you. What you’re asked to do vs compensation means everything. If I can make 18 dollars an hour collecting tolls I’ll take that over 25 dollars an hour as a laborer at a construction site. It’s simple. Up the pay until you get bites.

yes, so labor costs will rise to the point where food costs rise for consumers, or the labor costs are kept relatively low with migrant workers, and food costs are kept relatively low.

Ok. Then you get your universal decent wage and I will be willing to consider supporting open borders. Once you do that, people wont flood into every country that manages to pull itself ahead.

I agree. Food costs would most definitely rise if we used an all American workforce. No doubt about it.