The house select committee on Jan 6

From my first link:

The storm of secret subpoenas also seems to run against the thrust of recent Supreme Court decision, Trump v. Mazars , which addressed congressional subpoenas seeking personal information of the president. In sending the case back for further consideration, the court recognized the broad authority of Congress to issue subpoenas; however, Chief Justice John Roberts wrote that congressional subpoenas must address a “valid legislative purpose” and be “related to, and in furtherance of, a legitimate task of the Congress.”

Now that the FBI has concluded there’s no evidence of any form of coordinated insurrection and no evidence any member of Congress concluded with any of the yahoo’s that stormed the Capital it’s hard to see the SCOTUS allowing this.

3 Likes

Did they try to supeona the phone records of every Democrat in Congress?

1 Like

Congress’s constitutional power to investigate is not subordinate to the FBI. The FBI doesn’t get a say.

There isn’t really any doubt that SCOTUS will “allow” it.

There’s nothing special about Congressional phone records.

But the murderer Byrd is apparently not among them.

Interesting that The Hill is still spreading the falsehood that the one officer died after being bludgeoned with a fire extinguisher.

1 Like

I don’t have an opinion on this as I was referencing this statement from one of the links I provided:

The storm of secret subpoenas also seems to run against the thrust of recent Supreme Court decision, Trump v. Mazars , which addressed congressional subpoenas seeking personal information of the president. In sending the case back for further consideration, the court recognized the broad authority of Congress to issue subpoenas; however, Chief Justice John Roberts wrote that congressional subpoenas must address a “valid legislative purpose” and be “related to, and in furtherance of, a legitimate task of the Congress.”

It would seem that the power of supeona is not unlimited.

1 Like

I understand - but you suggested that SCOTUS would rule against any Congressional subpoenas because of the FBI investigation. The FBI investigation has no influence over whether the subpoenas further a valid legislative purpose.

It is not “unlimited”, but it is very broad. Congress has extensive Constitutional powers to investigate - and that investigatory power is a valid legislative purpose.

Congress has extensive Constitutional powers to investigate

Emphasis mine…Article, section and clause please

1 Like

It’s an implied power, inherent in “all legislative powers”.

Mmmmmmm. Not in the Constitution.

3 Likes

Well…“all legislative powers” is quite broad.

Confirmed and contoured in:
McGrain v. Daugherty
Watkins v. United States
Barenblatt v. United States
Kilbourn v. Thompson

Not interested in edicts from ephors, but thanks

Fine, but we live in the world shaped by these edicts from ephors, and therefore this is the law of the land.

Sorry 'bout your luck.

Ruled by the nonumvirate.

Without investigative power, Congress has no power of oversight.

If you want to argue that Congress has no Constitutional power of oversight because it’s not mentioned specifically in the Constitution, then we’re getting into some pretty fundemental checks and balances issues.

Article, section and clause please.

Well, “all legislative powers” is extremely broad and vague. Somebody had to shape the contours.

Which is incorporated in the constitution.

Allan

To legislate, not “oversee the executive”.

1 Like

Read the whole post.

If you want to argue that Congress has no Constitutional power of oversight because it’s not mentioned specifically in the Constitution, then we’re getting into some pretty fundemental checks and balances issues.