The house select committee on Jan 6

What is the power to legislate without the power to oversee the execution of the law?

I did. The check is the purse. There is no “balance” with oversight.

3 Likes

Legislating.

Important distinction.

1 Like

Says who? If you reject “edicts of ephors”, who is going to set that boundary?

The Constitution. It’s been set since 1789.

1 Like

If Congress has “oversight” of the executive, how is that “separate but equal”?

3 Likes

Right. “All legislative powers”. That’s it. With such a broad and vague term, how are we going to set limits without “edicts from ephors”.

Of course there is. How can Congress craft laws without the ability to inform themselves of what laws are needed?

Now you’re moving the gosl posts. Investigating the executive is not researching which laws are needed.

Over is the key word in oversight.

But here’s a thought, how about Congress listens to the constituents?

3 Likes

Of course it is.

There is a fundemental separation between the creation of law, and the execution of them. If the Executive is interpreting and executing a law in a way that Congress did not intend, Congress must have the power to investigate to determine how the law should be changed - otherwise the power to create law is meaningless.

:rofl: No. That is weak and you know it. There is no “oversight” in separate but equal branches.

1 Like

Again, of course there is. You are pedantically focused on the “over” half of the word, and ignoring the “sight” part.

Congress does not have the power to instruct the Executive on how to execute the law, outside of the text of the law itself - but they definitely do have the power to see how the law is executed.

“Over” is first. They are not “seeing” how the law is executed, they think, as you do, they are “over” the executive.

What law are they seeing to with the 1/6 investigation.

1 Like

You must have been really mad at the Benghazi investigations.

I don’t remember that though.

Sure, the only purpose that served was to keep Hildawg out.

I don’t remember you arguing they were unconstitutional.

This is an emotional argument. It does not matter what you imagine Congress “thinks” - nor does it matter what you imagine I think. This is a very well-settled aspect of the separation of powers.

They are seeing to the administration of Congress itself.

It is interesting that your issue of contention is with legislative oversight of the executive, since in this instance, the executive is barely involved at all.

Yes, Kev told us that.

Fun fact: “separate but equal” doesn’t appear in The Constitution. I thought such a strict textualist such as yourself might find that interesting.

Furthermore, since the American president is the most powerful man in the nation, if not the world, I should think you’d welcome oversight on such a powerful position.

But obviously, such power shouldn’t be absolute. This is where your “edicts from ephors” come into play. They are the only tool we have to check such power. Vague theories an protestations on the internet certainly won’t cut it.