The GOP hates democracy

Anyhow…representatives here are chosen through the democratic process. No getting around it.

Form of government. Not how the ruling class is selected.

We are both.

No, we aren’t.

No one is supposed to be the ruling class in America.

Liberté and égalité. We are equal as citizens.

Well, we are supposed to be. That isn’t really true anymore.

1 Like

While I agree, I’m not the one who said it.

No one is claiming we are a pure democracy.

None of that changes the fact that a republic is subset of democracy. Such a dumb argument.

do you think when the USA is labeled a democratic republic, it is inaccurate?

We could easily be called a representative democracy as well.

Representative democracy, also known as indirect democracy or representative government, is a type of democracy founded on the principle of elected persons representing a group of people, as opposed to direct democracy. … Representative democracy places power in the hands of representatives who are elected by the people.

From the article:

After the bill cleared the House, Representative Steven Scalise (R-La.) hopped on Twitter to share his outrage with the vote for its alleged “ban” on voter identification laws. “Every single American should be OUTRAGED by this: Democrats just voted to ban voter ID nationwide and force every state to permanently expand mail-in voting,” he wrote.

There is no language in HR-1 that “bans” voter identification laws. It allows individuals in states with identification requirements who do not have ID to vote by providing in writing that they are eligible.

It is really amazing how easily now the Republicans lie. And one proof is how much they are chastising
Liz Cheney for telling the truth.

We have minority rights not because we’re a republic, but because ot our Constitution.

So no ID. Just anyone can say I am so and so and I am a citizen and then they vote and we don’t care if their vote is legal or not.
It’s amazing that the left think they can get away with no proof that you can legally vote.
Liz Cheney is the liar. She lied to get elected but she will get her punishment for those lies.

3 Likes

Ummm…that says, you just said, that the bill says a person must be allowed to vote without ID if they simply state in writing that they are eligible…and there is nothing a state can do about it.
You do realize that explicitly says that a state is banned from requiring voter ID, don’t you?

1 Like

That is not what it is saying at all. The states are still free to enact voter I.D. laws if they wish. The signed affidavit clause is for those folks that can not obtain a voter I.D… And those people exist. A few years ago there was a article about it. One case that was cited was a woman who lives in Philadelphia. She doesn’t have a car, never travels and doesn’t have a bank account. She would have got a I.D. card but the courthouse in her small town in Alabama burned down and her birth certificate was destroyed. Should she not be allowed to sign a affidavit that would allow her to vote?

No. That is not addressing the problem. She should be allowed to sign an affidavit and whatever else it takes to get an ID.

4 Likes

There is no requirement under Section 1903 (Voter Sworn Affidavit) that says sworn statements can be limited to only those individuals determined to having difficulty obtaining a regular ID.

I could have a passport in one pocket and a Real lD compliant Drivers License in the other, walk up and say here’s my sworn statement and I’d be good to go.

I’d much rather what I refer to as an Ombudsman system fall under the Secretary of State, in the rare cases that someone has difficulty obtaining a valid ID, like your scenario above the following could happen:

#1 Prior to an election the individual contracts the Ombudsman’s office and a determination is made as to whether the request is valid. Invalid requests are rejected, for example someone can actually get a valid ID without a problem. Valid requests are reviewed and assistance is provided. Ultimately the Ombudsman’s office would be able to issue a “Declaration of Identification” which the individual could then take to the ID Office and be issued an ID.

#2 If at the time registration. The initial registration is accepted and flagged as “Pending” until either acceptable ID is presented or determination is received from the Ombudsman’s office.

#3 If at the time voting. A provisional vote is cast, placed in a seal envelope with the voter identified (similar to mail-in ballot security envelope) and stored for 30 days until either acceptable ID is presented or determination is received from the Ombudsman’s office.

WW

Too freakin’ hilarious! !!

Thanks for the laugh.