The DOW now bothers me. It needs to turn around

Here are most of the reasons for the Market sell-off:

• Policy mistake by the Federal Reserve
  • Rising interest rates that could make borrowing more expensive
  • A slowdown in global economic growth exemplified in China weakness
  • An overall breakdown in stocks, represented in equities trading at multimonth lows
  • Midterm election jitters, which have seasonally resulted in some jitters in U.S. markets
  • Seasonal October volatility, which has tended to translate into choppy trade
  • Worries that the U.S. economy is in the late stages of its expansion and due for a recession
  • Brexit
  • Italy’s budget crisis
  • The looming end of quantitative easing in Europe
  • The political implications of the killing of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi
  • Worries about the health of emerging markets outside of China.
  • Signs from U.S. companies that they are see earnings growth slowing
  • U.S.-China trade relations which may be exacerbating Beijing’s economic malaise
  • Growing deficits partly derived from President Donald Trump’s corporate tax cuts in 2017
  • Weakness in the banking sector which hasn’t benefited from rising interest rates
  • Softness in transports which Dow theorists tend to follow as a gauge of the health of the market
  • A rotation of investors out of growth stocks and into those names viewed as value
  • Major cracks in the housing market
  • A weak earnings outlook

He could have (in the past) just siphoned it from his phony baloney charity.

Can’t do it now.

At least the CEOs of corporations can buy their new yachts. That’s what is important.

1 Like

And none of those, except the fed raising rates has had as big an impact as trumps trade wars. I mean, the markets were swinging 3-4% on trade news

Legislation can have an effect, I’m not sure how big an effect though. When I read comment by those here who lean left you would think that Obama was one of the greatest economic presidents there was. Really? What exactly was the grand economic policy he implimented? The Stimulus bill? He didn’t have any grand economic vision, heck I don’t even know if he had any economic vision at all? Economies historically ebb and flow and and don’t just go up in a straight line. And there were a number of people who believed that whoever was the next president would possibly be dealing with a recession. In the end it is all bout earnings and in a GLOBAL economy no US president has control over that.

The Market made all time highs during the trade wars though. So although they are having an impact I’m not sure how much of the downturn is because of it? In the end it is all about earnings and if there is a global economic slowdown there is nothing any US president can do about that.

Why do you keep talking in such broad generalities and making ■■■■ up? No ones saying Obama was the greatest economy president ever. Trumps trade policies have had a major impact on our economy and the market. We are talking 100s billions of dollars.

Nobody is saying the president has “control”. But do you know what has a huge effect on the global economy? GLOBAL TRADE

I’m not one of the people who has been saying it’s obama’s economy.

I was mocking that.

Now you’re all caught up.

Dow now down below 23,000.

Thanks Trump and Trump voters

Below where the year started.

At least the 1% got a huge bonus courtesy of Trump

All the way back to 19800 imo

Dow 22k

Is anyone tired of the winning yet?

Anyone here locking in those gains?

This month is horrible

What a relief this market is to those of us who are tired of WINNING.

Ya’ know how you wreck the market? You start a trade war with China, you explode the deficit, you simultaneously lower taxes while increasing spending, AND you exhibit glorious unpredictability and irrational behavior while President.

Take a bow Trumpies. You own this clown.

6 Likes

I am reading that until the fed gets back to ~2009 balance levels, this will become the new normal. That is supposed to take ~4 years.

Wondering how low it can go, or maybe it will drop to those levels (18-19K) and hang there for a few years.

Nasdaq hit bear market index. Trump is cool…

Gosh, wasnt it just yesterday we were wondering if it would break 24000?