The Birth of the new America Aristocracy

I am not flagging this. It is a test though. It’s a hypocrisy test to see how long libs will let such a post stink up the forum.

Conservatives can do as they think is right. But don’t flag for my sake.

So my tax $ paid, not only for your military service but for your college education, too.

You do t even have to thank me, it was my pleasure.

1 Like

Oh brother, you think someone who serves this country in the military owes you thanks for their completely inadequate pay check and benefits? You really are far gone. You’ve got who owes who a thank you completely backwards.

Posts telling others “shut up” have been allowed before.

I see it’s impossible to have a rational discussion about income inequality and the systemic reasons for it.

Have a nice day.

I accept your surrender. There is nothing remotely irrational in my post. I and people all around me are living proof of it.

He was paid with tax dollars. His education was paid for with tax dollars - yet he and you and a bunch of others on this board complain endlessly about having to pay taxes.

I’d be happy to pay more in taxes so our service men and women get greater pay and benefits. Just like I am happy to pay more in taxes for our teachers to be better paid, or to make college free, and preschool free. And for everyone to have health insurance.

No, we don’t complain about paying taxes for the expressly enumerated constitutional powers of the federal government, defense being one of them. Care to show us all the conservative opposition to defense spending?

It’s the 21st Century now, Our country’s needs have changed since the Constituion was written.

I worked for it. clueless elites would not understand the difference.

It’s hard out here. My EFC was 0000. At first the financial aid was enough. Tuition eventually outpaced that.

So does every Federal, state and local government employee that you endlessly complain about your taxes having to pay for.

Yep. These other people are clueless. You’d think I would be the one living in a bubble but it’s them.

Sadly, I don’t think they will ever understand.

Sure we are, that is why I am constantly having to send out college graduation gifts to the kids of poor people, because it can’t be done.

Sincere congrats on that.

That said, if (mere) poverty avoidance is the goal, a college education is completely uneccesary.

In 2018 ~ 13% of persons in America (including noncitizens) live in poverty, as defined by the D of HHS, means
a family of one living on less than $12,140/yr
a family of two living on less than $16,460/year
a family of three living on less than $20,780/year
a family of four living on less than $25,100/year
etc…

Please look at those numbers regarding families of 2 or larger.
When I was a returning adult student in 1990s I came across an interesting factoid (in a socialwork related course.)

For families if 2 or more persons who do three things, the poverty rate is so close to zero it is statistically insignificant. It is an outlier. It is the statistical equivalent of zero.

Those three things are

• get a HS diploma or GED
  • get married and stay married.
  • get a job even a part-time McJob and keep it (defined as 2 years, never more than 28 consecutive days unemployed).

Do those three things (do ALL three) and you might be struggling, but you won’t be in poverty. The # of people in America who do all three of those things, and yet remain in poverty is, statistically nonexistent.

The point (of that being taught in class) was not to advocate “mandated marriage,” or tax-funded abortions or something silly like that. It was to teach things like rich people do not cause poor people, subsidized childcare and public transportation deserve to be explored as cures for poverty etc…

The professor was passionate about solving poverty via gov’t intervention, so naturally she and I had ideological differences, but her approach was not-at-all about blaming rich people, blaming some mythical aristocracy etc., and I found her very liberal views a refreshing divergence from what seems to be the liberal norm. :smile:

1 Like

Wow. I apologize for the length of that post. I will try to keep future posts more phone-friendly. :wink:

I find that rich liberals give smart poor people very little credit. It’s simply not that hard to figure out how to get out of poverty in America. And it was obvious by high school in my poor neighborhood growing up who was going to make it out and who wasn’t. Chief among those who weren’t, were the ones busy blaming everyone else for why they weren’t succeeding. Coming up poor I can’t even count the number of times I had to listen to guys in dead end low paying jobs bitch and moan about how they were being held down, while spending all their leisure time smoking up and drinking beer instead of in night school or actually doing anything to change their situation.

And boy am I sick of upper middle class and wealthy liberals lecturing me on what it means to be poor and how it’s impossible for poor people to get ahead. I sure am glad I ignored them. Even my well off children could pay their way through college, they don’t have to but both of them earn enough working while in college that they could, instead they are growing their savings.

But I can do the math, knowing what they earn, how much aid they’d be eligible for and what it costs them to live, they wouldn’t have to change anything to pay their own way through school aside from picking up maybe 5k a year in student loans. And do it all with perfect GPA’s. Oldest just graduated from Ohio State, suma cum laude, phi beta kappa with an honors and scholars double major in biology and french.

Financial aid formulas are WHACKED.
At Penn State for example, housing costs are calculated as the cost if a bed in a shared dorm room, (which is closed during summer, Christmas break etc.), and cost of food is calculated as the 10-meal per week plan in the dining commons.

God help you if you can’t stay with your parents during the 4 dorm closings per year.
God help you if you eat food on weekends, on Spring break etc…

I am 100% convinced colleges do this so they can misrepresent themselves as affordable. But there is a reason almost no one who does not get a degree the first time around is successful in his second try.

Did anyone tell them they can work and go to college at the same time? My youngest is going to pick up 10k this summer interning as a sophomore and made about the same working during the school year. 20k will buy a few meals and sub lets. It’s called aid, not a full boat.

You have yet to elucidate a coherent, non-question begging criteria for distinguishing between “government intervention” and its absence.