The Birth of the new America Aristocracy

Walking between two points.

That’s what COA at a private 4 year college cost when he was there. Now COA are over $70k/yr.

We certainly didn’t blow it. He got an excellent education at one of the top schools in the country. And though he majored and minored in, what I am sure you all believe are among the useless ones (Politics and History,) he was accepted into a Fortune 200 company’s Exec training program and at 23 moved onto a tech start up where he is earning over $100k at the age of 24.

He probably earns more than most of you on this board.

Businesses want hires with critical thinking skills and what ones majored in is irrelevant, unless it’s a trade like engineering or accounting.

I was thinking it was kindergarten through twelfth grade.

They do a good job of marketing to the smart people in the upper SES/full pay students but lag terribly in indentifying those in the lower SES and people of color.

I’m addition, only the very top schools (25 liberal arts colleges and 25 universities) give enough in Financial Aid in the form of grants to make it affordable for lower SES students to attend. They are working on outreach all the time, but many students and parents never even heard of these schools. I’m positive most of you would not know the college my kid attended and your kids probably haven’t heard of it either.

Guidance in most public schools is lacking. In private high schools in it much different. My son had a “getting into college class” - starting in his Junior year where they worked on their CV’s, apps and essays, identified schools to apply to, went on college tours, got interviewed, etc. Public school parents where I live have to hire a college counselor to help with that, but that is also unaffordable for most people.

In addition, since most colleges don’t give much in financial aid except loans, many students end up leaving school before they graduate because they cannot afford to continue and those that do are saddled with enormous debt.

classic progressive lib.

their sense of guilt runs so strong, they have to make the rest of us share it.

Dozens of people in my family have gotten out of poverty by going to college, including me. Student loans are easy to get. But sure, the people who drop out are saddled with that debt, my advice to them would be to graduate. My own high school counselor automatically assumed I wouldn’t be going on to college and did nothing to help me get there. But then, smart kids don’t really need help figuring out how to do it on their own, they know where the library is and they’re chock full of books on the subject.

It’s really the not so smart kids that run into trouble with student loans they can’t repay, who are often encouraged to go and accepted by people who should know better.

Funny you used the term blow, though, when you thought it was k-12. I laugh when people bitch about public schools and paying taxes for it, because I don’t think they’d be very happy having to foot the bill for several kids at private school for all those years. Public schools, financed by our tax dollars are, with out a doubt, much better financially for most people.

He went to public school k-8, then private high school ($72k) and then 4 years in college ($260k)

But while he was in elementary/middle school we had 8 years of sleep away camp for 7 weeks (which is where he learned to sail) at $10k/summer.

After he aged out of camp, my son worked minimum wage jobs every summer and during the school year.

He continued working at that job when home on breaks and summers from college, plus doing two internships. He also worked on campus for 3 years. His earnings went to books, entertainment, gas, clothes, etc.

You didn’t pay for my son to go to private schools.

Students can only borrow approx $5k/yr. Parents have to either take out Parent loans, or co-sign loans for any additional funds needed. Most parents cannot afford that either.

They can’t graduate because they can’t take out anymore loans.

When I went to college (and likely you) it was much easier to pay for college. Kids could work their way through. It was much cheaper - even at elite schools.

It’s a whole different thing now. Even in the early 2000’s when my sisters kids went it was only $35k/yr. 10 years later it was $65k/yr.

Even state schools like Penn State, for example, are in the $30k’s for instate students.

The extremely smart kids can go to schools with incredible FA, but those schools have acceptance rates of lower than 10%. The Ivies and little Ivies, Stanford, MIT, Chicago etc., are in the single digits.

Approx 60% of students at those schools are full pay.

antecedent of “it” is “their sense of guilt”.

You know what state universities and Pell grants are right?

As in you don’t have to go to an expensive college to get a college education and a good job and lift yourself out of poverty.

And if you are poor, your best path is to do community college for the first two years. Anyone in the US can get a good college education for under 40k, much of that covered by Pell Grants and the rest by student loans. You don’t have to go to an Ivy to get out of poverty.

The max Pell Grant is approx $5500/yr and to get a Pell your family income has to be fairly low.

“The most popular federal grant is the Pell Grant which is for undergraduates who do not have a bachelor’s or professional degree. There are cases where first-time graduate students are eligible for Pell grants. The maximum award changes yearly. The maximum award for the 2015-2016 academic year is $5,775. Your eligibility is decided by the FAFSA. Students whose total family income is $50,000 a year or less qualify, but most Pell grant money goes to students with a total family income below $20,000. The total amount of Pell money available to colleges is determined by government funding. Students who do receive the grant often get less than the maximum amount.”

https://www.scholarships.com/financial-aid/grants/federal-grants/

State Universities? You mean those schools that people like you bitch about having to pay taxes for?

They aren’t so cheap now since states have been slashing the amount budgeted for University systems for years now.

No you don’t but it’s much harder. Thus the article I posted about the new “Aristocracy.”

That’s the whole point.

1 Like

Shut up, Ishy.

1 Like

I know what the Pell Grant limit is, combine it with student loans and you can get a college degree in any state. If you want to assert otherwise name a state it can’t be done in.

some of us served our country in the military and in return had our college paid for.

And even if one chooses not to go to college, it is a place to learn marketable skills. Not everyone is a combat soldier in the military so it’s not like you have to risk your life or kill people.

No it isn’t, you absolutely do not need to go to an Ivy to land a decent paying job. There are plenty of affordable colleges that employers will hire from.

Heck you don’t even have to go to college to earn a decent living. The lady who cleaned my house offered to buy my house with cash, for her daughter. And it wasn’t a cheap house. I live in a good neighborhood, a few of my neighbors are plumbers and electricians, living right alongside middle and upper management people with college degrees. Had a plumber out the other day, he was here 15 minutes, bill was over $200. The people who clean my house charge $50 an hour.

If you are poor in American you either can’t work or don’t want to work. Because there is easy money to be made for those who can and will.