Thanks but no thanks, I will pay my quarterly payroll taxes (income, Social Security, Medicare) on time

Many people don’t realize it has to be paid back. This is going to be quite the crisis, when it comes due.

1 Like

Taking action is half the job. You have to take the RIGHT action as well.

And taking unconstitutional action is never right.

Turns out being POTUS is complicated.

how is delaying this tax helping anyone?

Because you believe in symbolic rather than concrete gestures?

Like pretending to extend enhanced unemployment but not really doing so…simply taking it from money being used to offer relief elsewhere?

Or extending the eviction moratorium but offering no way for either renter or landlord to be made whole?

:sunglasses:

I hear the DACA crowd was happy to have one.

2 Likes

Yup, I will do the same. It’s much better to be safe than sorry.

1 Like

That’s something I don’t get. A lot of people look at it as some kind of savings account. If they would take the right deductions, they’d not have a refund and have use of that money during the year. If they drop it in a 401K it would be even better.

Are you referring to the “temporary” suspension of payroll taxes suggested by The Prez because Democrats are fixated on “bold investments”? I’m a retired and get a SS (federal benefit) LOL and Medicare both paid for by payroll taxes. I also draw a retirement investment payment and work FT, both income streams are taxed. I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed but even I know without that revenue the SS Ponzi scheme will come crashing down. The US goobermint has been robbing the SS “lockbox” since LBJ used it to finance his “Great Society” welfare debacle igniting a generational subsidization if institutional poverty and despair among minorities. But that is another conversation. You might be correct about Florida, the Dems will no doubt use “suspension of SS and Medicare” as their next antiTrump rallying cry. Hell, ‘Ol Joe just might remember to use it! I’d like to hear more details, defunding something as YUUGE as SS and Medicare? Ain’t happening.

Its’s certainly NOT helping anyone who really needs help (unemployred)

1 Like

good thing they’re being helped too then.

Then pay your 7.5% and give your employees THEIR money. It’s not yours to decide.

You’re right it isn’t my money, I am referring to my portion that has to be paid. :wink:

I really don’t get the apprehension here. The same laws that allow the President to suspend collection also allow the President to forgive the debts created by them. If Trump wins re-election, its a done deal. If he does not, do you actually believe the democrats will demand COVID relief will have to be paid back? Do you know how politically untenable that position will be? They will [pass legislation to “fix” Trump’s “error”.

1 Like

And most likely add additional money to it.

1 Like

Not by eliminating/delaying the payroll tax. It does nothing for them.

Chances are good that it won’t have to be paid back. I’d just rather put it in escrow until I know that for a fact.

the $400 a week does. why would every action need to be for this one group?

also, it does benefit them, do you know what a business can do with 7.5% of its payroll to expand and create jobs?

If only there was a democrat in office, this move would be hailed by libs. It all boils down to them being angry that Trump will get credit for this by those who will enjoy less taxes and those on unemployment who will be getting more extended benefits.

2 Likes

if all business’ do this, they pretty much create a self fulfilling prophesy.

Its legally R-i-g-h-t vs. might for any POTUS to suspend a taxpayer’s obligation for a period not to exceed one year in a National Emergency.

Being a business owner myself I understand the importance to strictly adhere to federal, state and local payroll tax acts. Employers can even be held personally liable when not timely submitting employer/employee payroll taxes with interest, penalties and even jail time in cases of more severe delinquencies and filing/non-filing violations. As such, and being Trump wants this to be applied retroactively to as early as August 1st, our own tax advisors and payroll type services firm (ADP) are already fast at work to give me and their other valued clients input on exactly what is the best way forward with all this.

In that regard, the topic of your thread might not pass muster in the end analysis.

And let me add one example and more comments I hope you will consider and maybe respond in kind.

Often when major changes are imminent with payroll matters, employee’s will sometimes also come to their human or payroll dept’s, their own supervisors and even business owners with a lot of questions. My wife, for example, with the pandemic thankfully did not lose her job but in May was forced to take a 10% payroll cut “until further notice”. The anxiety here at home was tremendous, as many of you can also imagine. Although she was clearly grateful to still have a job, my wife still felt the need to talk with her direct supervisor too. In those conversations, she found all the higher level managers took even higher pay cuts too. So when you say you are considering ignoring the Trump’s executive order here, I will imagine your ducks will all be in a row regarding all this too.

That being said, please recognize the fine line between advising employee’s that as it stands right now; taking the cash now “may” cost them dearly as soon as January. I imagine your good intent here will often fall on deaf ears as many people really need the money yesterday!

And lastly, if in the end analysis Trump backs up his comments of yesterday and forgives the payroll tax holiday entirely, employee’s will barely remember it started essentially will become moot.

1 Like