Texas Supreme court - lack of immunity to the coronavirus does not count as a "disability"

You know what cheating is. You go this route dead folks will be voting, multiple votes by the same person, etc.

The folks pushing this like Pelosi are not doing so because of the virus.

Either way, that’s what absantee balloting is designed for.

Now expalin how that’s the same as a so called disabillity that doesn’t exist.

I never said it was. I just think we should afford it to all people who want to vote that way.

Then change the laws.

This thread is about not follow a law as written.

Why yes I did, let me quote the relevant portion for you: “except for the military when they’re on assignment out of the country.”

Under that logic I would not have been able to vote for 14 of 20 years because (A) I was not out of country and (B) not a resident of the location where I was stationed, and (C ) would not have been eligible to vote by mail.
.WW, PHS

3 Likes

The person does not have to have a disability so your request about a disability that doesn’t exist is a nebulous question.

From your article: "Texas law requires that those under the age of 65 provide an excuse – either a disability or that they will be out of the county or confined – when applying for a mail-in ballot. The state election code defines “disability” as “a sickness or physical condition that prevents the voter from appearing at the polling place on election day without a likelihood of needing personal assistance or of injuring the voter’s health.

Notice the “or” function in the last sentence. That means the first OR second can be used to qualify for the statement “a sickness or physical condition that prevents the voter” joined with the OR function “injuring the voters health”.

Fear of contracting a virus that could incapacitate you for weeks or even kill you would be “injuring the voters health”.

Come on, we know the real reason.

It’s because if more people vote by mail Trump is toast. Vote by mail OK for him, not OK for the peons.
.WW, PHS

1 Like

Okay, so how do you PROVE that it’s going to injure your health? Take a test to show you don’t have antibodies?
If you go to the grocery store, or outside your home into any building – you have the same chance. So it’s NOT the same thing.

You don’t have to “prove” it would. The law says “likelihood”. Which means a “potential for” not a “guarantee of happening”.
.WW, PHS

1 Like

What is considered “likelihood”?

What are the odds of any given person catching the Rona? Likelihood is greater than 50 percent in my opinion. If that’s the case, shouldn’t everyone who goes to a grocery store be picking it up?
And if you do catch it – what are the odds that you will be asymptomatic, or have very minor symptoms?

Now we are getting into the qualitative interpretation of the law instead of an application of the actual text.

And so at this point we can respectfully disagree. I’ve voted by mail for years, Trump votes by mail. If it’s good enough for him it should be good enough for the peons.

However we know the real reason, voter suppression because if more people vote the GOP will likely loose.

As President Trump said:

.WW, PHS

2 Likes

First…thank you for your service. I very much enjoy my freedom and am grateful. Second…were you in the military when this happened and out of the country? If not, it opens the door for fraud and I am totally, 1000% against that. I want the integrity of our voting system protected and preserved for the generations to come. If “we” ever lose that, i can not think of a faster path to another revolution.

No need to thank me but I appreciate it. I was either out to sea or in a different state then my residence. I just don’t believe we well see anymore fraud than we currently do which is minimal. I wish everyone had to vote and if they didn’t want to vote they would have to decline to vote as one of their choices.

1 Like

I"m saddened that you want to disenfranchise military service members. Those who reside in country but are not residents in the state where they serve and therefore vote by mail for their state of residence.
.WW, PHS

1 Like

NBC had a former head of the Florida Republican Party on this morning. He was talking about how hard the Republican party worked to expand vote by mail in the state. He said that the mail-in vote will key to getting a whole bunch of Republicans voted into office.

1 Like

Why is that?

Are you likely to suffer injury driving a car to a polling location? Are you likely to suffer injury walking to a polling location? Where does it end?

Here’s a novel idea? Then change the damn law instead of ignoring it and changing it by fiat.

Did they work on it by way of laws? Or was it some court that said – hey everyone has a disabillity at this time, send them to everyone as the disability clause of the law says?

That wasn’t my intent. It was more my ignorance. The military is the exception…period.

What about embasadors and support staff that might be out of the country? How about CIA, and other intell agencies? OR FBI members that are assisting with investigations in other countries?

If your employment requires you to not be in the country, there should be a validation of such and an exception made? What I do not want is for a door to be opened for all and this becomes an accepted practice. That will lead to fraud and as I’ve stated, I am 1000% against anything and everything that would harm the integrity of our voting system.