Texas grid operator calls for power conservation as temperatures, prices soar

Instead of trolling why don’t you answer. How do you know he is not trying to do stuff?

Because the problem exists. And if I’ve learned anything around here over the years it’s that if the problem exists then those in power are doing nothing.

“This top-down approach of ERCOT’s desired outage limits does not consider the minimum needs of the thermal resource fleet and leads to overall decreased reliability of the ERCOT system if those resources cannot obtain the outage time necessary to complete needed maintenance,” said a Calpine representative in written comments from April opposing ERCOT’s proposed methodology in NPRR1108.

Calpine might be trying to save face, but I’m inclined to believe they’re not exaggerating their desperation for maintenance, considering most of their fleet is natural gas.

Cases 5 through 8 in this EIA study are an interesting read for those curious about the maintenance costs various configurations of gas plants face per start and accumulate per hour.

https://www.eia.gov/analysis/studies/powerplants/capitalcost/

https://www.eia.gov/analysis/studies/powerplants/capitalcost/pdf/capital_cost_AEO2020.pdf

Only Republicans get the benefit of the doubt that they’re secretly doing a really good job but not telling anyone.

1 Like

That’s a stupid post.

Range and towing capacity. That’s it.

Stupid reply, link to who said they were doing a good job? Just asking for you to show us he is doing nothing and he can just throw money at it and fix it. Those electric plants that are shut down because of expense, what do they use to produce electricity that is so expensive?

It is 62 now. Most of last week was in the nineties for a high.

2 Likes

Blazing hot the the whole time we were setting up the pool, but damned if right after it’s filled the nighty temps are back in the lower 40’s. :person_shrugging:

Seems to be a problem in several places…

Hm. Maybe a few years ago. Definitely not now.

Yeah, cause no one has heard of a whole home generator in Texas :rofl:

Hmm yes now. My 2003 infinity g30 is a great car with under 100k miles on it and wouldn’t sell for anything close to 30k

Good low mileage used cars are very hard to find right now.

Low mileage is usually considered under 20K btw, so your car wouldn’t be considered low mileage.

Imagine that

2 Likes

It’s all relative, yes my car would be considered low mileage for its age.

Bet Nestle isn’t affected. :person_shrugging:

1 Like

With my Outback having 200k+ I’d consider under 100k low mileage.

1 Like

Oh, for it’s age, sure, but when a dealer advertises a low milage vehicle, they are generally talking <20K.

Which you couldn’t find for less than 30K right now IME.

My 2015 Outback is at 160K. Just had my first major issue, but Subaru and the dealer stepped up and all is well again.

Love that car.