Texas grid operator calls for power conservation as temperatures, prices soar

Not at the current prices.

It’s a luxury item, Republicans aren’t immune to trying to look cool.

1 Like

I was referring to this:

A truck is not a luxury item in my world.

3 Likes

In my book anyone who spends over thirty grand on a car isn’t very bright. Way to many older low mileage luxury vehicles around for less.

4 Likes

No but every new truck is outrageous right now and the used market is still dumb.

I think long term which light duty truck people will go with will really depend on their use cases.

People who tow loads near their light duty trucks capacity will stick with gasoline or diesel. Towing kills economy and range on anything, but it hits electric trucks far more than ICE trucks and recharging is much slower than filling up.

People who use their trucks primarily as daily drivers and to tow lighter loads, stuff like ATVs and small fishing boats, will probably go electric.

1 Like

They will be cheaper than ICE ten years from now. Probably more like five.

Maybe…

Definitely, way fewer moving parts. China already churning out cheaper electrics than comparable American ICE vehicles, just haven’t hit our markets yet.

2 Likes

They are cheaper to assemble and require only 1/3rd the workforce to put together.

Problem is how are lithium prices going to look in ten years once the demand for them skyrocket. The only reason lithium-ion is used is because of the economy of scale produced by the finished tech products since the 1990s. Basically laptops, handheld game consoles, and cell phones is what created the modern lithium industry and why automakers gravitated towards it, since it currently has the lowest costs.

But if electric cars start to keep pace in sales with ICE cars, the demand for lithium will skyrocket since they use a TON of batteries in the design.

Good news is that there are alternatives to lithium ion for both power storage and electric vehicles. There just needs to be a demand for it to take hold. The alternatives are heavy and aren’t suited for portable electronics. But they’d do well in other applications.

Won’t be using lithium, better tech already in the pipeline.

1 Like

Got to be careful though.

I would buy a cheap 2014 Lexus LX570 because it’s super reliable and they aren’t anymore difficult to service than a Toyota Tundra or a Toyota Sequoia. They share the same power train and layout. Even the chassis is mostly shared between the three. Makes part sourcing easier and cheaper. Just got to delete that stupid air ride. I get the appeal of air ride, but it’s expensive and it always breaks. I prefer traditional suspension.

I would never buy a 2014 Mercedes GL class. It’s insanely expensive to maintain since it doesn’t share many components with a cheaper sibling.

1 Like

Stuff in the pipeline that will charge in fifteen minutes.

the fact that you don’t know what is being done is not good enough for any employ or civil servant? Again what could he be doing and you know for a fact he is not and causing this problem?

So in other words they’re asking Texans to make their lives less convenient to benefit the greater common good?! I do believe that’s called COMMUNISM! I can’t believe this is coming out the great state of, uh…Teksas!

Ah, yes. When my BIL was a park ranger he and my sister had a great view of the Shearon Harris power plant.

It’s the transplants causing the problem. Go back to California.

It’d be better if he went back to his home country of Canada.

Almighty solar and wind? Works for California. :rofl:

2 Likes

Hey, what the hell?! There’s way more important issues that Abbott has to deal with right now. Like keeping all that CRT out of the schools, or something….

1 Like

Then quit asking them to move there.