Ten Years of Tax Returns From All Presidential Candidates? -- new legislation

BS, they will make the request, the secretary will refuse and it will be tied up in court for years.

Except thatā€™s not a requirement for Presidentā€¦itā€™s a requirement for Presidential Candidateā€¦a minor difference, but a difference all the sameā€¦just like the Constitution doesnā€™t require registering in states to run in primaries, but candidates have to do it all the same.

Good luck with that. They will make the request, it will be refused and Trump will tie it up in court for years.

How is it ā€œtrump hateā€ when itā€™s required of all Presidential candidates?

Iā€™m pretty sure he knows.

The original bill had already been cleared in a cloture vote. Reconciliation is one of the ā€œfew exceptionsā€ since it only modifies a bill that has already passed through the normal process.

Wrong. It will be approved and sent over appropriately. I have years of experience in this area.

2 Likes

When Nixon faced subpoenas during Watergate, the Supreme Court expedited the cases. Nixon was unable to tie the matter up for years.

Since Trump is a hugely successful and honest businessman, only being attacked by sufferers from TDS, why wouldnā€™t he settle the whole matter by releasing his tax returns. Theyā€™ll be fine and everyone will move on.

Trump is chasing to drag this out. Can anyone think of a reason why? Help me out here.

So youā€™ll be required to release tax returns in order to be make the statement ā€œVote for me for presidentā€ (1st amendment issues?)

Or, is that different from being a ā€œpresidential candidateā€? What exactly is this ā€œpresidential candidateā€ status that congress is trying to regulate. What are the current requirements (and benefits) from having that status?

You couldnā€™t possibly have any experience relative to such a request since itā€™s never been used before.

Oh buddy, you are in for a bumpy couple of years.

When you canā€™t win at the ballot box, go to the courts.

What grounds does the IRS have to refuse?

Requirements include registering for the Primaries in each state by a set time (each state has their own set of requirements for that)ā€¦

We can start with Executive privilege.

That protects the executive. Not the person.

Womp womp.

1 Like

Ah. He corrected himself after I called him out on it. Good for him. Wish he had told me himself instead of accusing me of missing civics 101.

Life goes on.

1 Like

Try again that was post number sixty.

How could anyone be against this?

Oh I forgot, if it put their lord in legal jeopardyā€¦ they want no part of it.

Yawnā€¦

(f) Disclosure to Committees of Congress
(1) Committee on Ways and Means, Committee on Finance, and Joint Committee on Taxation
Upon written request from the chairman of the Committee on Ways and Means of the House of Representatives, the chairman of the Committee on Finance of the Senate, or the chairman of the Joint Committee on Taxation, the Secretary shall furnish such committee with any return or return information specified in such request, except that any return or return information which can be associated with, or otherwise identify, directly or indirectly, a particular taxpayer shall be furnished to such committee only when sitting in closed executive session unless such taxpayer otherwise consents in writing to such disclosure.

(2) Chief of Staff of Joint Committee on Taxation
Upon written request by the Chief of Staff of the Joint Committee on Taxation, the Secretary shall furnish him with any return or return information specified in such request. Such Chief of Staff may submit such return or return information to any committee described in paragraph (1), except that any return or return information which can be associated with, or otherwise identify, directly or indirectly, a particular taxpayer shall be furnished to such committee only when sitting in closed executive session unless such taxpayer otherwise consents in writing to such disclosure.

The law is very, very clear and has been used numerous times since 1924 to get tax returns from many different types of taxpayersā€¦

Where in your citation does it show the law you are referencing was used by the committee to obtain his records from the IRS?