Supreme Court OKs public money for religious education

Screwed the pooch on the 2nd one

No, it doesn’t.

Yes, it does.

they want parochial schools to dumb it down?

Nope. You’re trying to silo. Won’t work. Public education system.

That isn’t what they found

They found the religious schools were lacking.

Your are just spouting gibberish. Most, if not all states have a website where you can readily view which individual schools are or are not meeting the standards let alone districts.

too funny.

i went to both a catholic and public school in nyc. guess which one had better education?

1 Like

As posted by the school. Look at the product.

I specifically noted the ultra orthodox Yeshivas. .

they aren’t the only ones affected by the policy. so i think you mean you cherry picked a worst case scenario and tried to make it seem like the norm… its not

1 Like

It was those specifically that forced for there to be standards

Yeshivas are academic ■■■■ holes by DESIGN. Other than teaching the Torah, they are NOT wanting students to learn much.

Go to Israel.

It is rare to see the Ultra Orthodox deigning to soil their hands by getting a job. They spend their lives in Torah study and live on government stipends.

The Ultra Orthodox in the United States are just as entitled.

2 Likes

It is really doing a disservice to those kids to not give them a basic education

Not your problem.

While I agree with this ruling as a legal matter, I find it kind of humorous that a lot of folks who were screaming indoctrination for the past few weeks and now the ones applauding indoctrination.

You mean schools.

Not people.

1 Like

I find it interesting but totally predictable that the same folks that support drag “queens” getting involved with schools and schools pushing all sorts of lgbtq books and programs in schools seem to think a nickel of tax money headed to a Christian school is down right evil.
:roll_eyes:

3 Likes

As for the general matter of the OP:

As I said in an earlier post, I am of a very mixed opinion on this matter.

Not a fan of funding religion.

On the other hand, religious freedom must be respected in this situation.

I agree with the Court’s decision, but the government can limit the effect by limiting or abolishing tuition grants. If there are no tuition grants available, than the problem of them being spend at sectarian schools suddenly goes away.

I have always opposed the tuition grant/tuition voucher argument on the very simple grounds that public schools do not operate on a tuition basis. They are a tax funded public service that everybody pays for, whether they have kids or don’t, whether they never had kids in their lives or whether their kids are grown and gone.

I homeschooled my children, but never took any public money and would never have considered doing so. I paid the very modest expenses myself.

If a person wants their kids to attend private or sectarian schools, they should expect to cough up the money themselves.

In Maine’s case, there is the issue that secondary schools are not maintained in some rural areas and because of that unique situation, I have no problem with the State reimbursing parents for some of the expense, regardless of whether the school is sectarian or not. However, it is a very unique situation that is uncommon across the country.

Nah. Not in my town. Our public school kids take college level math, science and language.

1 Like