Steel workers vote to strike.....Trickle down economics at its finest 9-19-2018

Thank you. That does change things.

So what it sounds like to me is that back when the big mills had a monopoly the unions fought for higher wages. And now that there’s more competition they are pricing their plant right out of the market. The plant will either have to adjust or go out of business.

Don’t really think there is a good guy or bad guy here. At least not known yet.

Is striking bad?
Why would you cheer?
Unions are run by Dems and will do what they want regardless of what the employees want.

LOL, I have been working for a fortune 10 company for 31 years. This liberal owes everything to the man. so much for another liberal stereotype down the toilet,

Allan

1. Yes, only should be done under extreme

2. Nothing to cheer about on the picket line

3. Unions are run by dems. LOL.

Allan

“Hey, guys, the industry in the country may be coming out of its long slow death spiral … lets strike!”

Nope they will never admit the truth.

Allan

Want to hear something ridiculous? I’m an entry level road maintenance employee (state union) making anywhere between 65k-85k. That’s base pay plus OT. Christie is gone and we get a new Democratic governor. We’re about to get retro pay dating back to 2011. Most will get a check between 10-15k. That’s not counting supervisors. On top of that we’re getting an immediate %6.75 percent raise. All this before the new contract is negotiated. It’s just an MOA. Get this. There are a good deal of members that aren’t happy.

As far as these steel workers go, I hope they do strike. Unions are pretty good at smelling a rat. They’re not idiots. These companies will throw everything into a PR campaign to make themselves look good. They’re usually full of it. I’m married almost 18 years now to a woman that was management for a big company. She pretty much tells me how the game is played.

Its only a strike vote and not an actual strike.

I am a union worker for 31 years.

always voted to strike

number of strikes: zero

right now I am working under the 2015, while negotiations are going on.

and I voted to strike no biggie.

Allan

Labor costs are always an easy target for obtaining short term flexibility in keeping operating costs down.

If the employees at ArcelorMittal feel like they are not getting a good deal, they might start looking for employment with their competitors. That’s how our capitalist system works.

Has anyone looked at the wages, salary and benefits with ArcelorMittal’s competition? For all we know, ArcelorMittal’s wages and benefits might be well above the competition, and these changes will bring them in-line with what the employees in the competition are receiving.

I din’t say you or the voter or workers. The fact is that there are Liberal politicians and leaders, etc., who push the narrative that big business is the “bad guy.”

Our Capitalist system works when Labor is able to negotiate en masse and in good faith with management.

Of course the company wants to keep labor costs down. Of course they want to limit future liability. The prime goal of the company is to “maximize shareholder value”… which are the three most destructive words ever uttered for American Labor BTW… and Labors role is to extract as much as they possibly can from the sale of their time, knowledge and work while not killing off the golden goose.

The idea that Labor can simply go somewhere else is pretty dumb. Some employment… like mine… is based on region. And especially when worker mobility in this country sucks… for a variety of reasons… it is pretty insulting in my opinion to think that simply going and getting better job instead of negotiating better terms for the job one already has is really a good option.

The funny “quote” was one guy suggesting a strike, nothing more.

As or concessions, do you imagine the tariffs outlasting Trump? Isn’t it prudent to make financial plans based on them going away sooner rather than later?

I’m betting if we dig into it the justification being claimed will have to do with some combinations of debt service or capital investments to improve the ability to remain profitable once said tariffs go away, and not the board feathering their nests.

So if the tariffs aren’t in place to revitalize the US Steel industry for national security interests… then why were they put in in the first place?

From the end of WW2, til about 1981 or so. the economy grew. Sure, there were cyclical recessions and gains, but overall, the economy did well, and that wealth was spread out fairly well. High earners did very well, and the middle class also prospered.

Then there was some sort of revolution around 1981…and the economy continued to grow, but the wealth was not spread out quite as fairly as it did the previous 40+ years.

Just can’t quite put my finger on what caused these changes to happen.

I said nothing about why they are in place.

I posed the likelihood that they’ll not outlast Trump and how that should affect planning.

And we are seeing this here.

It’s not just an idea of mine. We live in a free country, when people become dissatisfied enough with their employer, they will change jobs. The average person changes jobs a dozen times by the time they are fifty years old. so no, it’s not just an idea of mine.

The threat of talented, trained employees quitting is just one of the pressures we as employees bring to bear on our employers. Obviously some employers don’t care if a few of their employees leave, which is why we have unions for those types of people.

We have Unions for protections for Labor.

My Labor Union is in the Film and Television industry. So… this dumb idea that people who change jobs frequently don’t want or need a labor union is really really dumb.

I have had hundreds of different jobs over the past twenty years. The good thing about the Union contract is that I have a good floor to start with when I want to negotiate overscale… and I have the added benefit of a good health insurance plan and pension.

That is what I am talking about with poor worker mobility… asking the average laborer to pick up and move without prospects of any protections going forward is severely limiting to those who sell their labor.

So… then at the end of the day the tarriffs are worthless.

Simple, after WWII, the US was the only world manufacturing giant. But in the late 70s our foreign competitors finally caught up to us.

No longer could companies like Ford and GM crank out crap cars. They had to compete, and that meant large expenditures for modernizing production and getting wage, salary and benefits on par with the competition’s.

We also saw the governments of nations subsidized their manufacturing industry. State sponsored industry was able to saturate the world market with their products, destroying US manufacturing industries.

I didn’t say that either.