Steel workers vote to strike.....Trickle down economics at its finest 9-19-2018

What is the point of the tariffs then?

We will see, once Canada signs the new NAFTA. Those tariffs got them to the negotiation table.

It isn’t Canadian steel that is the major player in our imports… it is China.

What would be “really, really dumb,” is for you to not change jobs if you thought you were being taken advantage of and not being properly compensated for the work you do.

People do change jobs a dozen times in their lifetime. It’s the “really, really dumb” ones who stay in a dead end job that does not pay you what you are worth.

It’s not me making this idea up, that dissatisfied employees can always quit their job. Are you working at the same job you had out of high school?

You say you work in the film industry, and belong to a large union, like the screen actors guild? Is your union not negotiating a fair deal? If you feel like you could make more money going to work for yourself, or joining a new company, then you would have changed jobs.

It’s not what you are implying, though your timeline is correct.

That’s about the timeframe it took for foreign production to ramp up to a level things could be produced overseas and shipped here cheaper than it could be produced here. The companies were still IS based in a lot of cases, but the labor was shifted overseas.

That shift to foreign production is what created the disparity you are referring to, and tarriffs are the tool used to combat cheaper foreign labor.

Higher prices is the only reason that expanding demand brings increased competition. If the mini-mills would have been a sensible business at lower prices, they would have already been in the market. Prices are higher, though not as much as if the mini-mills didn’t enter/expand.

In some markets, such as the memory chip market, you see wild swings in supply/demand balance - I don’t know if steel goes through the same cycles.

In the meantime, ArcelorMittal also gets to enjoy the higher pricing, of course. They’re just choosing to not “trickle down” the extra profits.

Your right. But Canada was importing steel from China and then selling it to the US tarriff free due to NAFTA.

I am in IATSE.

We get a pretty good deal… there is a new contract up and there were some shenanigans around the pension funding and the discussion of penalties… I haven’t read the contract yet to see if I will vote yes or no on it or not.

Changing jobs is just one way to improve one’s lot… but when the economy is booming, unemployment is at record lows and profits are high… Labor wanting a piece of the reward is rational. ArcolerMittal is not only not raising the living standards of labor… they are asking for more concessions from them.

They want concessions because then shareholder value will be maximized and the executives can continue to get bonuses.

1 Like

That would be at least 24 jobs. I don’t know anyone who has done that.

There must be a lot of “really, really dumb” ones in Appalachia – trump country.

1 Like

I’ve had about 16 since high school and I might be forgetting a few.

You need 8 more to get up to “dozens.”

Where did you see that?

U.S. Steel Export Market Share

U.S. Steel Export Market Share

Sources __ Import Share to U.S. - 2016

Canada _____ 87.7%
Brazil _______ 34.0%
South Korea _ 12.1%
Mexico ______ 72.9%
Turkey ______ 15.0%
China ________0.8%

That was a typo, I meant a dozen.

Here’s the reference i used: These younger baby boomers held an average of 11.7 jobs from ages 18 to 48

How do you know that? Have you compared the wage, salary and benefits paid by ArcelorMittal to their employees, compared to other companies? Maybe their employees are making more money.

I know in my industry some of my peers in other companies that are larger than mine, earn less than I do, and/or have a less generous benefits package than I.

So you don’t think any of the policies Reagan pushed through had an effect?

Breaking up unions.
Taxes
CEO Pay
Greed is good
The idea that maximizing profits is the primary goal, even if it hurts the middle class.

Those had no effect?

As far as subsidizing industry, what do you call our massive Defense spending?

I stand corrected. I was conflating the dumping practices of the China Steel exports with the countries that the US import steel from.

I am kinda of baffled as to other than forcing dairy into Canadian markets… what concessions the administration wants from Canada with Nafta.

I’ll leave that to the steel workers and managers to hash out.

Supply side is the theory that business investment drives demand since the flow of money goes through suppliers (builders,construction, manufacturers). Demand side is the theory that demand drives supply. People demand/buy goods so therefore businesses produce it. This is where keynsian/deficit spending comes into play -
Pushing aggregate demand to the right on the curve. Obviously, the real world isnt so black and white. But if wages dont increase, you cant increase the demand. One of the problems with supply side is if you dont increase wages with the investments you make - you dont increase demand. It’s strange how businesses dont invest in their workers.

Happens all the time.

Our labor laws are tilted toward the employer.

. A booming economy means more profits true, but it also means that a skilled worker is more valuable to an employer, because with low employment it means it’s very difficult for employers to find new talent so they can expand.

You may find that sending out feelers to the competition might get you a big raise and improved benefits package. Of course, you could end up leaving a friendly bunch of co-workers and a good boss at the place you work now, and walk into a world of snobish cliques, backstabbers and a doofus, jackass of a boss over at your new employer.

The economy is growing, so the workers have to make less money?

And that makes sense to you?