Speed limits and traffic lights are now optional in Berkeley

They do need to pass a law to “defund”/restructure the police department.

This isnt about allowing people to run red lights.

It’s pretty great, actually. Probably the most beautiful place I’ve ever lived.

2 Likes

No they don’t. That’s a budget decision.

Yes… and what is a budget, if not a law?

And without cops, it will be even more peaceful.

Why aren’t you still there?

Administrative action.

Law School.

But you support lock downs and mask mandates. Sounds like an oxymoron.

Some day we’ll find out what the real numbers in this plandemic were.

1 Like

No, a budget is not an administrative action. A budget is a legislative action.

Are you going back?

Passing the budget is an a legislative action, but it is NOT the same as enacting a law. You will not find the annual budget of any City in a list of Statutes the violation of which can result in civil or criminal penalties. You know damned well what we are talking about when we say no law needs to be passed to eliminate cops from the field. All you have to do is cut the funds available to perform their function.

Can you give me one state were the legislature has passed a law on masks, and it has been signed by the governor (like most traffic laws have). Please and thank you,.

1 Like

No, I don’t care about mask mandates, or lockdowns.

Maybe. Not for a while, though. I’m not from there.

It is an incredibly expense place to live.

1 Like

And you know damn well that no one has suggested that the Berkeley Police Department will be “eliminated”.

Unless the City Council actually votes to restructure the police as has been suggested - which they have not done, and won’t until an actual plan is presented - nothing will change regarding how the BPD operates.

I didn’t say it would be. What I said was that it does not require that a law be passed to eliminate it or even reduce the function of the police department. For a guy studying law, you sure have trouble following simple statements.

You’re still wrong.

The police cannot be defunded or restructured unless the City Council votes on it. Whether or not you want to call that a “law”, the point remains the same.

What point? They still do not need to pass a law to defund their Police Department.

Yes, they do. They have to pass a law to fund the police, too.

Budgets are passed, just like laws.