Speed limits and traffic lights are now optional in Berkeley

I love this story! The city of Berkeley has voted to eliminate traffic enforcement in their city. No school zones. No traffic light enforcement, no speeding tickets. No nothing. It’s a free for all. How long before some ding bat city council member gets her car t-boned at an intersection and starts crying that there were po-leece around? And are they willing to take pay cuts after their traffic ticket revenue drops to zero? I’m lovin this story! I can’t wait to see how it plays out. The cops shouldn’t wait. They should stop writing tickets today! :relaxed:

1 Like

City will still be issuing citations; but it’ll be unarmed city workers who are doing so.

The Berkeley City Council announced Wednesday some changes to its policing in the wake of the nationwide anti-police protests and said unarmed city workers will now be tasked with handing out traffic citations.

2 Likes

The City Council vote was on “goals”, not laws. no laws have changed, and the police are still enforcing traffic laws.

This is why you shouldn’t believe Breitbart.

6 Likes

No they haven’t. fake news.

1 Like

You don’t need police to ticket people when we have red light cameras, traffic radar, most of the cars have computers in them, and the US mail is a thing. Never mind that if you’re driving around with your cellphone, you’re already being tracked with GPS. Technology is amazing.

1 Like

Read the local news. Not a newsstand rag.

They could also be paving the way for autonomous vehicles. Won’t need police for those either.

Sure love the smell of progress

The anti-mask crowd should be 100% behind this. Every single person who here claims that wearing a mask when in public is an attack on their liberty should be applauding this.

@altair1013 Where do you stand on compulsory mask wearing? For or against?

It seems obvious where you stand on compulsory traffic laws. So is your position the same and consistent?

3 Likes

It could work.

Not according to the San Francisco Chronical. They state the same 50 percent number.

Ask me in the appropriate thread. I don’t like subject changing.

BERKELEY, Calif. (KRON) – The Berkeley City Council has approved a plan to remove police from traffic stops.

This makes Berkeley the first city in the country to make this change.

This would be a new transportation department made up of unarmed civilians.

The launch could take months or up to a year.

“Plan”.

No laws have been changed.

Cop out. :rofl:

This is a thread about compulsory laws and their enforcement. I asked you about consistency in beliefs regarding such things. This is the very thread where this belongs.

So?

1 Like

No they haven’t.

No it is not. You could not be more wrong. I know what my own topic is. This thread is about one specific case of po-leece defunding. I am not making an general statement about anything else. I ask you to please respect that. Thanks in advance.

Okay, Fair enough. They have approved a plan to do it. Do you like the plan?

BERKELEY, Calif. (KRON) – The Berkeley City Council has approved a plan to remove police from traffic stops.

This makes Berkeley the first city in the country to make this change.

This would be a new transportation department made up of unarmed civilians.

The launch could take months or up to a year.

So they didn’t “eliminate” it then, did they?