Someone please tell me - how is a wall going to deter this

People that overstay their Visa are an issue, no question but they’re not the target which is why we don’t do a lot about it. The target is the illegal that comes here without permission, commits crimes, sucks off of public funding and drives down the cost of labor. The reason no one wants to do anything about either is Republicans want the cheap labor and Democrats want the votes… as usual, the political class acts in their own self interest while Americans pay the cost.

The problem is that Trump himself is not rational his “solutions” are nothing more then feel good ideas.

Trump curing cancer would play out just like his approach to “solving” a nuclear North Korea, he would go in talk to a few people make great “friends” and yell SOLVED!

Why does he do this? Because he is all bluster no substance he is a Hollywood President, I just never thought so called conservatives would be the ones to vote one in.

:point_up_2:

Proven effectiveness? Begging the question…

If I were in charge, I most certainly WOULD call for you to e-verify your tenants. As a landlord myself, I would be willing – with conditions. The system (as it stands now) is not adequately reliable or easy enough to use. I would need it to be as simple as logging in and entering the prospective tenant’s info, and then getting back an approval code that I would keep on file. If I were ever audited to prove the veracity of my tenants, I would have the paper trail. (In fact, the record of the approval should also be stored on the government’s side of the verification.)

That’s part of the rub. Right now the system not very good. But it can be. And it can be done for far cheaper than building the wall.

As for mowing lawns or other ad hoc jobs, nothing stops that. I wouldn’t expect the average homeowner to be responsible for e-verifying that sort of thing. But then again, the guy who earns some pocket cash that way still won’t have a place to live, or any other major service available to him.

For the record, I AM attuned to the concerns that this could lead to a Gestapo world. “Show me your papers!” And the list of transactions that would require e-verify could grow to burdensome levels.

To be blunt, though, I don’t expect anyone in charge to propose this sort of thing. Not from either side. It’s politically treacherous territory.

It’s probably that you to you. :roll_eyes:

Make it a felony to be in the country illegally. Criminal record, no chance of getting a job.

They’ll still get jobs and take a wild guess who will be providing those jobs?

Is your front door locked? Why?

Liberals in sanctuary cities?

Places like Fat donald’s Bedminster club.

Diaz claimed to The Times that “there are many people without papers” and said she had witnessed several others hired though they were also undocumented.

And still works today! :wink:That’s the only reason Dems fight it so much as they will lose a whole lot of voters whether some illegals come by air or sea!

That is the past. You and Mountain Soldier were talking about the future based on it being a felony to be in the country.

So your position is like Trump’s, you don’t give a ■■■■ if the wall won’t really work, you just want it!

I thought you people were non-PC. Did something change?

The trump administration would be more than happy to do so.

Not in the past, they’re currently being investigated.

Apples/Oranges

Are you suggesting we place an equivalent number of troops on the border with Mexico? The borders you reference are successful due only to the number of troops stationed there, not due to a wall. The Korean border isn’t even a wall, it’s a 2 mile wide DMZ only 150 miles long.

Walls don’t work, they are a waste of resources. Just ask the French.

Opinion noted and dismissed. The wall is effective and necessary. It would take 10 times the number of troops to secure those borders WITHOUT the wall. It’s pretty simple. The wall makes it more difficult and as you build the wall, you put sensors on it with quick response teams. Without that, we’re just pissing in the wind with border agents down there.

The issue is that people insist the wall won’t work because they don’t want it. If you look at what can be done from a tactical standpoint, it’s ALWAYS better to have a wall. Just think about military strategy. It’s really hard to secure open tracks of land, so you put up physical barriers, such as barbed wire, mines, etc. I’m quite sure we don’t want to put mines up at the border so we do the ethical thing and put up a wall to slow the influx. It’s certainly not going to be 100% effective but it’s also certainly going to help. Again, look at portions of the border where the walls are already erected. Are the immigration rates slower or the same there?

Why did you shorten my post? The context of the conversation was about the hypothetical felonization of illegal residency. You stated that they would “still get jobs” and asked the hypothetical question, “guess who would hire them?” That has absolutely nothing to do with an investigation of what may allegedly have occurred in the past.