Some counties in Oregon hope to secede and join Idaho

Some time back (I believe it was JayJay) put forth a thread I believe similar to this notion (I believe that it was titled the national divorce?). Personally, I view this as the best option out there for - let’s all admit it - a country that is irreconcilable politically. If the portion of Kansas for example was very liberal/progressive why not let them vote on joining Colorado? Lawmakers along with the rest of us should look at such things like this as opposed to vilifying those who hold views different from one’s own.

1 Like

From the article:

Even if all 17 counties approve the proposal, actually creating a Greater Idaho would face big bureaucratic hurdles. The state legislatures of both Idaho and Oregon would have to sign off on the plan, as would the U.S. Congress.

IMO the makeup of the U.S. Congress would be the limiting factor in this one.

When you look at the land masses of red vs blue, it is predominantly red. The areas of blue has evolved culturally and the effects too often seen of it such as homelessness, violent inner-city murders and high taxes are not what the red wants.

When an area is such that the blue dominates the red, such as Minnesota, you’re going to have a lot of unhappy campers…thus the MAGA voice is born. Finally this portion of “we” is beginning to pull from what they do with their lives and donate resources to fighting this mentality that’s believed to be being thrust upon all. This is what I believe I am seeing.

1 Like

Land doesn’t vote.

2 Likes

neither do the dead

2 Likes

I understand and am not denying that. It’s varying cultures. Birds of a feather, flock together. :sunglasses: :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

A few have

Good luck with that, I don’t think Congress would ever go for that at all

All that is really necessary is for Idaho to approve, good luck to any government force reversing it if they did. What would they do? Jail nine counties worth of people?

There are Maryland counties trying to join west virginia as well, also half or so of cali trying to be a new state

Hey, when you have governments that say you have to let people cut off your 14 year old girls breasts, ■■■■ is going to get real.

The map that can be brought up at the link corrects for the land versus population issue.

Counties are represented by circles and sized according to population. Select the “show population circles option” and “no county overlap option.”

This is not a democracy and was never intended to be a democracy.

3 Likes

I never made any such assertion, so your reply is quite a non sequitur.

I would guess that it all would end up in Federal Court. From everything I have read any state border changes are only effective once the U.S. Congress approves it. If they went forward without the approval of the Federal Government I could see where the Federal Government could cut off funding to those states.

The government is ill equipped to handle any large rebellion scenario, just not enough law enforcement, judges and jails.

If those nine counties decided they were part of Idaho, odds are they will be.

No it doesnt….but people develop cultures in their communities and they do.

Reality in Oregon is once you get outside of Portland, salem, Eugene, and the willamette valley the culture of the state is rural, agricultural, timber and forestry. You know…all the stuff smartest guy in the room lefties have contempt for.

Those people have had it with state government that proposes stupidity like banning diesel trucks, that won’t stand up for farmers who are losing their access to irrigation water…they don’t need a bunch of people driving suburu’s with “keep Portland weird” bumper stickers dictating the way the live their live, especially when the buffoon leftists running Portland have turned one of the most beautiful places in the country into a damned homeless camp.

Maybe Oregonians will select their first Republican Governor in forever next month. Christine Drazan is smart and cares about the state…but it’s tragic to see what decades of kook fringe liberals have done to the great state I grew up in.

3 Likes

Younger than that too, right? Also, don’t forget cutting of young boys penises as well! And no need to let either! But hey such is todays Democrat. :crazy_face:

Oregon should do an analysis to see how much these counties contribute to its GDP vs. how many tax dollars they take. Maybe they’d be better off letting Idaho deal with them.