So what about the Trinity?

The doctrine of the Trinity has been a hot potato subject for 1700 years or so. What are your thoughts on it?

All three of them are way too random for me. Who gets ignored, who suffers, who gets blessed, who doesn’t. Who’s prayers are answered who’s are ignored. The randomness is baffling.

The most fundamental polygon in Euclidean geometry is a triangle.

I am a Unitarian.

So easy to figure out where I stand.

Allan

1 Like

On a heap of mathematical flaws. :wink:

The word Monotheism comes to mind.

To me it’s freedom of thought, to be be tied down to one way of thinking.

Having only one creator of the universe.

Others have different thoughts and I encourage that.

But don’t try and tell me what to think.

Allan

Wouldn’t dream of it. I find it interesting to read other’s thoughts on religious matters. No desire to attempt to change anyone else’s beliefs.

Not you of course but witnesses, Mormons, evangelicals etc.

The true religion quest.

The trinity is just a theory.

Same as any belief.

Who knows what is true?

Allan

Any religious belief reflects the believer’s thoughts about life. So lots of beliefs out there.

1 Like

The first Believers in Christ (Christians) were Jews. The Apostle Paul never gave up the strict monotheism of his Jewish heritage. He was trained as a Jew in the best school of his day. Paul was a believer that “Christ was the Son of God.” He prayed to God. He was not a trinitarian. Jesus was not a trinitarian. Jesus prayed to Almighty God, his Father, and so do I.

The early Christians read the Jewish Scripture. The New Covenant Scripture had not been written.

“For God has put all things in subjection under his feet.” But when it says, “All things are put in subjection,” it is plain that this does not include the one who put all things in subjection under him, then the Son himself will also be subjected to the one who put all things in subjection under him, so that God may be all in all." 1 Corinthians 15:27-28 ~ the Apostle Paul

Paul is explaining to the Corinthians their relationship to God the Father. Jesus paid the debt and reconciled mankind to God. Now, God is all in all - Everything. There is no more need for a mediator between God and man, like the Jewish Priests were under the Law of Moses.

The same trinity appears in Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity. It’s fundamental, based on visionary experience.

While I agree one can find Trinity everywhere, I do not view each trinity as the same, or even all that similar.

In Christianity, the discussion centers around the Oneness of God and God being described as Trinity, and one sect seeing the Trinity as three separate beings.

Nor does anyone who accepts the traditional view of Trinity whose premise that God is One; there is One God.

Words explaining it and interpretations, differ, but it’s source and visionary experience is identical, Vocabularies in different times and places, differ.

It is one in three and three in one. People invent differences,

I distance myself from the period of the first 4 centuries of theological arguments about the triune God that were mixed with power politics. There were bitter debates trying to reconcile a triune God made human, with a Jewish heritage of monotheism and a Greek heritage from Plato and power politics.

I stick with the 27 books of new Covenant writings. In those 27 books, Jesus defined God for us. It was Jesus’ mission to show us what God is like. Jesus defined God for us. He defined Him in simple language that the common man can understand. Jesus describes God to us and demonstrates by example, our approach to God.

I cannot believe anything about Jesus that Jesus didn’t approve of himself. Jesus approves of the Judaism “God is one.” Mark 12:29

Jesus addressed the One God of Scripture monotheism as “Father.” John 17:1 (there are more examples)

Jesus refers disciples back to Deut. 6:4 "Hear, O’ Israel – The Lord our God, is Lord the One.

The tree, seed and fruit is the same.

The inherency of what is in the seed, what the tree is and what the fruit is, manifestation and latency is one in the seed is the middle way, the “narrow path.”

It’s the Supreme Law

And nothing about the Trinity goes against these. The purpose of Trinity is not to make One into three or three into One. Its purpose is to broaden our understanding of the dimensions of One God. Think of going from one dimension to three–or even more–as impossible as that is for us humans.

Sing any hymn or recite any catechism 3x and you can feel the trinity. and the subtle meaning beyond words.

Or even listening you can hear the subtle three. It’s understood in dreams and visionary states. Words and analysis can be a hindrance.