So we are keeping troops in Syria

Indeed. Have you read Paul Cartledge on the subject? He’s an englishman and his later works got all PC. But his earlier stuff is great.

I’m slower sometimes. But still, nice. But personlly, I would keep troops there to stop Erdogan from destroying SDF from the northeast and Assad from the South. I see the risk to our guys as relatively low, for Syria. Casualties for Inherent Resolve have been incredibly low, thank God. And that was during active operations. Someone or probably someones are going to die while we keep Turkey and SDF apart. But not many. And we owe SDF big time.

Then go be #401.

I have not. I will look for that. Thanks. Always like book recommendations. Ive read mainly read older historical stuff on the Peloponesian War(which is fascinating to me) and the history before and after. And obviously Thucydides. The source. Which is actually a hard read. By the way, my phone is messing up every thing i’m typing. So, please ignore fandom words and bad spelling.

And we’re right back where we started. :cry:.

Yes it is.

No problem on the spelling.

Indeed we are. I’ve been there.

I’m too old. 39. But it is peoples lives. And i really like your statement that its a dare. It is. But all of our foreign policy is a dare. NATO is a dare to Russia. We sail destroyers though the Taiwan Straight as a dare. We have 25,000 troops in Korea as a dare. We have our brave men and women out there on dares everday. This one should be okay. Because NATO doesnt kill NATO.

Yes, a lot of them are. And in our case it usually works. We need to guard against being cavalier about it, eventually we will pay the price.

Absolutely. Well i’m done for the night, Sneaky, thanks for recommending Cartledge. Ill look him up. And i liked talking to you tonight.

I enjoyed our conversation as well. Good night.

For when you come back: you should look into what the Turks did in the Korean War. There are some people in this world one should not mess with.

Not even enough for a decent QRF backup force, poor decision on Trump’s part.

Hopefully there will be several additional special ops units kept rotating through that aren’t advertised publicly.

They had no chance at all of succeeding, it was only a matter of how long it would take to crush them.

Their purpose was just a delaying action with no retreat possible and to unite the Greeks against the invaders and prompt them to action.

It was the first “Alamo”.

Very true on both points.

That is flatly untrue. NATO is a counter to Russia and the only thing that kept the Russians from taking all of continental Europe in the post WWII era.

Turkey hasn’t been a reliable ally since before Desert Storm and they are becoming more Islamist every year.

The “dare” assumes they care more about keeping US as an ally than wiping out the Kruds and going full bore on the Islamist State.

Russia will welcome them with open arms and they know it.

That was 2 months ago? Holy ■■■■

How is it Russia is welcoming them before they’ve even arrived?

Invited? Yes, that would be the word.

They had completely stymied the Persians for two days and had more than enough troops to not only hold their position, but to rotate troops to keep them fresh. Xerxes actually withdrew after the second day to reassess his strategy, since frontal assaults weren’t working and that was the only tactic open to him. The Greeks were winning until they were betrayed. Once betrayed, it became an “Alamo” situation for those who remained.