So Trump declared a National Emergency...What precedent does this set going forward? Is Nancy Pelosi right?

Old. Thank you for that long but extremely accurate comment. I would agree with you on almost everything. Let’s just say I appreciate your comments and am taking them to heart and rethinking some of what I said here. My problem is that I don’t believe that Trump is or ever was a CONSERVATIVE, therefore when people support him…I have a hard time seeing them as conservative too. I have only wavered from my conservatism to take a slightly more libertarian approach to current conservatism, in that under conservatism we continue to grow the government, we continue to increase the deficit, and we continue to pay for things we don’t really need. I don’t see that as conservative, but conservatives do. That is where I get my leaning from. ANd maybe I should not have initially said TRUE conservative…maybe I should have said old school conservative, or Goldwater conservative…because to me, that was and still is conservatism.

Anyway…thanks for the post and the short pause for reflection.

1 Like

The conservative agenda is to allow the president to have extra-constitutional authority?

Anyways- surprised that John Cornyn, Rand Paul and Marco Rubio are now suddenly RINOs.

Only because they do not walk lock step with the President…so they must be RINOs just like I must be a liberal.

1 Like

Once they get out of there little bubble they’re in they would see just how diverse conservatives are. In fact I would go as far and say they’re far more diverse then libs…precisely we don’t have that hive mind.

As for superiority complex they have…that was instill upon them by elitist snobs.

If congress had done their job decades ago we wuldn’t be in this mess…and repugs are just as guilty. congress on both side created his situation by their own failures.

So people can blame Trump all they want…I guess it’s easier then having to look yourself in the mirror. :wink:

1 Like

Preach it brother.

I’m here and I’m screaming bloody murder over this circumvention of the Constitution.

It is why I started the post. It’s not something that bodes well for the nation if it goes forward.

1 Like

I completely agree with this. Fantasizing about using a National Emergency declaration to attack the 2A is a non-starter and isn’t even a good comparison to what Trump is doing. Climate change or healthcare both are much more applicable analogies.

This declaration proves Trump has no fidelity to the Constitution. And anyone supporting this measure equally shows contempt for the Constitution and our Founders. It is about as far from conservative or being a Constitutionalist as humanly possible.

Circumventing the Constitution is NOT a conservative agenda. It’s about as far from conservatism as imaginable.

All this, because in the President’s view, we need more barriers and other tools to prevent illegal border crossings.

Who is Trump hurting by improving border security? Is trump taking away, infringing upon the rights of citizens, or denying any American citizen their freedom?

What presedent does it set.

Absolutly NONE

But the United States is no stranger to national emergencies.
In fact, the US has been in a perpetual state of declared national emergency for four decades, and the country is currently under 31 concurrent states of emergency about a spectrum of international issues around the globe, according to a CNN review of documents from the Congressional Research Service and the Federal Register.

This is the 32nd national emergency declared by a president. So no presedent has been set by what Donald has done, but following in the steps of other presidents.

And guess what? Not the first national emergency issued by Trump. Guess if they are going to challenge this one, they should challenge them all. :smiley:

Not all national emergency declarations are so controversial. Trump has already issued three national emergency declarations during his tenure, most prominently a national emergency meant to punish foreign actors who interfere in American elections, though the move garnered bipartisan criticism for not going far enough. He’s also invoked emergency powers to slap sanctions on human rights abusers around the globe and on members of the Nicaraguan government amid corruption and violent protests there.

No it isn’t. Our liberties are being potentially traded away for some false sense of security.

Additionally, over 1,000 Texans, land owners, will be forced to hand over their land to the Federal Government, against their wishes and will if this unconstitutional usurpation is allowed to stand.

People here claiming to be conservatives or Constitutionalists should be in an uproar over this alone. This is the very BIG GOVERNMENT that conservatism is supposed to oppose.

The DOJ knows this will be challenged in court, say what you want but this is going to SCOTUS…what happens there…only one way to find out.

I just saw the replay of Trump in the rose garden say that he didn’t have to do the declaration but he just wanted to get the wall done now. That will be the first thing that the prosecution will use in the first court case. This guy is do dumb that he didn’t even realize that he just killed his chances in the courts by his own words. Idiot.

3 Likes

So it’s a case of challenging the one’s you don’t like and saying the one’s you like don’t go far enough them (according to my link).

Is that what you are saying is going to happen?

Both the ACLU and the AG of California highlighted that in their statements accompanying their declarations of filing lawsuits against this circumvention of the Constitution. He really screwed himself massively with these comments.

1 Like

What I say is going to happen?

Its what DOJ says is going to happen, read the link and find out why.

Perhaps you meant bigly.

1 Like

:rofl:

Indeed. Even YUGELY!!