So only 266 thousand jobs for month of April

Then they are bad at business and should go work for the Waltons.

1 Like

I’ve got no issues hiring thirty year olds. Ads for experienced bartenders and servers, we’re not inundated but apps come in at a good clip.

But hosts? Busboys? Food runners? Line cooks at the wage we pay? Dishwashers? The ■■■■ mostly kids or ex cons do? It’s a drought. We’re paying our employees five hundred bucks to bring in people and then paying the new employee another five hundred, if they last two months, and it’s still tough.

Considering how many people would have already exhausted their 52 weeks of unemployment (and that’s in sane states that extended it, lots of states even with PUA cap out at six months to nine months), it’s just not a reasonable explanation, not entirely nor mostly.

To put this in perspective, I live in a middling cost of living area and Arby’s is paying people fourteen bucks an hour and Burger King is offering $2500 signing bonuses.

Except him

I think you’re right. They’ve figured out they don’t have to work like dogs to have a good life.

I did.

1 Like

Meanwhile April job report was revised to 770 thousand…down from reported 916 thousand. A 146 thousand difference.

Also wanted to point out I think I read 48 thousand of those jobs for April was goverment.

Ok…So only 750, 000 jobs added…Its damn near a depression…:roll_eyes:

1 Like

That’s odd. Do their parents give them an allowance for weed and booze purchases? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I certainly hope so. I’d love for kids to have a more stable family environment with one parent being at home.

2 Likes

That is the opposite of what I said. That is normally what happens. Now they’re back living with their raise, they’re attending school online and there’s no parties and bars to go to or haven’t been for a year.

I mean, hell, I’m heading into middle age and have serious outlays to make my monthly expenses, and the six months I was laid off last year showed me how much I was spending on utter nonsense and even though I’ve been back to work nine months I’ve dropped my monthly spending like thirty percent just by cutting out non essentials here and there.

If I was twenty and living at home in this nonsense? I could get by and still be getting drunk and stoned several times a week for like a hundred bucks.

I usually do nice bonuses for employees who are performing well.

There is a certain mindset that wants to live paycheck to paycheck and are comfortable with the amount of discretionary income they net.

Take that away by not giving a bonus (because after they got their bonus they call in sick) and now there is no extra money to call in sick.

Please pardon me if I am confused. Where are the kids getting the money if they are not working?

Burning their savings. I mean, this is a problem with service industry employees even when the world isn’t a trash fire. They make a bunch of money, then can’t drop shifts fast enough to hang out and blow it, then pick up extra shifts to make money to burn it again, rinse and repeat, world without end.

1 Like

I’m tasked with trying to find people to fill three ‘set your own hours, get paid to travel, never work weekends, never work nights, never even meet your boss’ positions, at 3% unemployment, with an hourly above the higgest regional state minimum wage.

No one wants 'em.

People are, quite reasonably, unwilling to go where plague numbers are bad and active antimaskers make problems over store policy, never mind local and state mandates.

Okay. So pretty much the mindset I just posted.

Work when you get desperate, blow it all, rinse and repeat.

1 Like

Yeah my joint is in a solidly upper middle class area and we rely on “you have to work if you want us to pay for your car” kids for the low echelon positions and those same parents shockingly don’t want their kids around a business where they have the highest chance of catching COVID and then giving it to them.

Thank the Lord for Mexicans and El Salvadoran friends and relations of my current staff or we’d collapse like a house of cards.

1 Like

No.

The industry attracts people who work for cash. It only rewards those who hustle enough of it. It’s the same precarity as elsewhere, but the cash-by-the-day makes it visible.

It’s always like that in my business. And I’m not in some ■■■■■■ diner or retail place where you’re making three hundred bucks a week, my servers pull down a buck fifty, two hundred a night. A buck for lunch.

Good grief. I’d think you might want to take at other aspects of why you can’t hire anyone.

I just hired a wonderful person at $12.00 to start as a receptionist. I let the folks in my office who will work directly with her do the interviewing.

They asked me if I wanted to do the final interview. My answer was no… Why would I do that when I trust you to make great decisions?

There is a hell of a lot more to a job than money.

This is an excellent point. Nothing like a fat stack of cash to make money real.

1 Like