So now McCarthy lies about easily checkable facts

I guess it’s not enough. If you look at McCarthy’s interview, he’s just deflecting. What does Pelosi’s vote totals have to do with the shutdown? Nothing. Yet he pivoted right on over

1 Like

The house passed a bill to reopen the government on their first day in session.

Incorrect. The total votes were 430.

Allan

In 2013, John Boehner beat peolosi by the same exact margin, (220-192).

Allam

2 Likes

Even if the Democrats had a two vote majority, Pelosi still would have been elected. The only reason she didn’t get those Democratic votes was because some representatives told their voters they wouldn’t vote for her. If push came to shove, they would have made excuses to their voters and voted for her. Does anyone actually think McCarthy had a chance to become Speaker?

See, I like this thread. It proves that hardcore Trump supporters can nit pick things that (people like) Trump say. They just choose not to.

Why do you persist in claiming the GOPers would ever vote for her?

She received 94% of the votes she could possibly get.

I didn’t say that now did it.

If the are going to abstain from voting however, they shouldn’t vote at all. You know. Not press a button, not answer roll call, not raise their hand, not do anything.

That’s only one of the reasons. But don’t you find it interesting that the bat can strike the ball, send the ball flying and the batter can take off running . . . . . but it’s not a hit.

So there is a rule that you can only vote for the person in your own party?

Umm no, she received just about 51% of the possible vote.

My Uncle does drag racing for a living… usually when he tries to qualify for the next event, he races another drag racer

One time he beat his opponent by a little over 1 sec, which is a butt whooping by those standards, but failed to qualify for the next event.

1 year later, in the same qualifying race, he again beat his opponent by a little over 1 second AND qualified for the next event by .1 second.

In this scenario, did his opponent still get his butt kicked… regardless of missing or making the qualifying time?

Trump received 46% of the total votes cast by citizens of the United states and became president.

its the system that determines winners and losers. not the amount of votes.

as I said in a previous post Boehner received 220 also in 2013 speaker election.

Allan

1 Like

The ball is also “hit” when it is fouled off, or on a ground out to an infielder, but it is not A hit.

If it helps, think of it as a “successful hit”, like a completed pass.

Well, that’s the thing about abstaining that we mentioned earlier. If they don’t vote at all, it’s as if they’re not there - which means they don’t count towards a quorum.

I don’t care. If they can’t care enough to have an opinion, and want to abstain, then they shouldn’t count toward the quorum.

Then they’re not abstaining. By definition, abstention means counting towards a quorum, but not casting a vote.

So again, you’re saying that Representatives should not be able to abstain.

you re being absurd.

So Paul ryan won his position by a similar margin…and so did the speaker before that, and before that and before that…

1 Like

Correct. Just more muddying of the waters by the pubs. It’s their only strategy now.

Can somebody clarify for me whether Pelosi getting elected as Speaker was a close vote or not?

Whenever I google it, I get pictures of Trump standing behind Big Macs.

1 Like

Sour Grapes for him