Silliness of Solar farms

Also, world solar energy production surpassed the net energy to produce the equipment by 2012 if I recall.

Old and tired talking point.

Maybe… it was certainly a goal a few years ago. Maybe that is why you remember. It was a goal.

Lets see the evidence.

After that we can discuss the energy required to transport, install, and maintain the equipment (and the necessary batteries) throughout the expected life of the equipment.

I’m sure that’s an old talking point, though.

LoL :rofl:

Your area of expertise is nuclear correct?

Not really. How much do you think the type of power copacity listed in the article is going to cost? Couple grand? Don’t think so.

Article said it’s guess the batteries would be lithium ion. A more expensive type battery to build.

Battery was included with the lawn mower. On the company web page, it’s the longest lasting one they make (for the mower). Only thing I need camping is recharging cell phone, recharging HAM radio and maybe watch a movie on the laptop. The inverter to hook to the battery was only $30. More than I need for camping. And it does run the mower (blades, healights if you need them, and powers the self propelled wheels - variable speed) for 60 minutes.

We have enough nuclear waste to power the entire country for like two hundred years.

That said, solar panel technology is well on the way to using non toxic and far less expensive materials. It will still take a few more years, but it is happening right before our eyes. Solar energy will be cheaper than anything else out there. Energy storage is moving forward too, though it seems a tougher nut to crack. It’s happening though, no doubt about it.

I have no problem of capturing energy any way we can…but we need to be practical about it…nor should we destroy our economy.

2 Likes

Down here in Florida they get cleaned every day all summer long lol. Fifty plus inches of rain just in the summer.

During the summer you can almost set your clock on thunderstorms coming out of the glades.

Pretty much. It goes in cycles. Every day around 2 for a coupla few weeks, every day around 5 for a week or two or three………Then some front blows through and screws it up for few days and then back at it.

We sat out under our lanai overhang during one storm where we got over four inches of rain in a single hour. Just when you think it can’t possibly rain any harder, it does lol. It’s crazy.

Wall of water.

I tell people to pay attention. When you drive in them you’re completely washed out. You can’t see 10 feet in front of you.

Extremely dangerous.

I’m on the interstate for an hour or two every day, sometimes more. Oh the stories I could tell about stupid drivers, unbelievable. People don’t realize how much carnage goes on out there and it’s 90 percent stupidity.

Anyone can claim anything anonymously on the internet.

I get off the road, off to the side and prey no one rams me.

I do remember one time in Aug, one hell of hail storm. Ice cube size hail completely covered the ground, damage hundred it not thousands of vehicle. And this was in middle of Aug or so.

Right you are.

No surprise to see you going green… :wink:

Inverter usage idea for power outages: If you bought an 800-1000Watt inverter, you can easily run that off an idling car/battery and run most refrigerators and freezers (one at a time).

There is a saying “Do not let the perfect be the enemy of the good”

Everything has a trade off.

Why people are so afraid to let go of burning carbon is beyond me.

The company is actually preltty cool. They have a bunch of equipment from lawnmower to snowblower. The batteries run any of their items. Then they have two power converters (I got the small one). Larger one is backpack size that you put two batteries on and can run more stuff off of it.

And yes I have done a few “green things”. I have LED bulbs in everything in my home. Programable thermostate. Ride a motorcycle when I can (instead of the gas guzzler SUV). Now the mower.

Eh fusion is a long way away.

Fission will work for now.

Actually Fusion is only about 500 light/seconds away. It works great!

:sunglasses:

1 Like

Good point. Those silly solar farms are actually fusion power collectors.