Should Donald Trump Declare a National Emergency to Build the Wall?

Trump just saw his dreams of a yuuuuge wall go up in smoke when the new Congress was seated. That is the “emergency.”

4 Likes

And How would it force Mexico to pay for it? I swear I could be persuaded to vote for Trump in 2020 if he could just get Mexico to pay for the wall!

1 Like

What I was referring to, and you know it, was the 1980s debate over amnesty and securing the border, and President Reagan giving into amnesty based upon a promise.

:roll_eyes:

JWK

And we have since installed 649 miles of barriers. 99.5% of what was requested

If he funds the wall through other means, it should absolutely end the impasse on the current continuing resolution.

So declare the emergency and open the govt back up.

It’s seems really easy to me.

Why if he was going to declare a national emergency anyway would he not just sign off on the cr, declare his emergency and be done with it.

It’s very obvious either side will give in.

Allan

It’s better to do it within the function of the government. I decried EOs under Obama, and I do so for Trump.

Our government is dysfunctional enough as it is.

Trump can’t use an EO to magically give himself money to build a wall.

It wouldn’t be an EO it would be a National Emergency Declaration. I hope he does it today. No reason to delay it, imo.

Still that doesn’t magically give him money.

Except he goes back on a major campaign promise…the one to have Mexico pay for it. As I remember it over the past two years that’s one main reason for trump support. Supreme Court and Mexico paying him to build a wall. Now you want him to declare a national emergency and we’ll pay for it. Genius!

2 Likes

Pfft details.

Donald has it all under control.

He can take the tax refunds owed Trumplicans (I’m certain they won’t mind) and add that to the GoFundMe Build The Walll Trumplicans have already donated to the cause and VOILA!

If he runs short of money he’ll just stiff the contractors.

1 Like

Looks like he’s going to try to do it. I wonder what his lawyers will tell him.

Yeah, we both would like that but with both sides digging in, it is doubtful there can be any progress.

Declare the emergency, build your fence and open up the govt.

Allan

I think Trump should do it. Put our money where his mouth is.

1 Like

And the govt gets reopened. A win-win.

The dems are calling his bluff.

Allan

Doesn’t matter. He knows more about the law and constitution than anybody, including the emollients clause.

We get any movement on this yet, or is it just another empty threat by Agent Orange?

Donald doesn’t work on the weekends. Check back on Monday.

That’s what I am afraid of.