Should Donald Trump Declare a National Emergency to Build the Wall?

does publicly saying Emergency magically make money appear? let me try it right now.

Many say that Donald Trump has the ability to do what he wants. He is president, and the power of the president is complete. Donald Trump is the chief executive officer of the United States, except that he does not need to pay the government when he commits illegal activities. If the Justice Department follows him, he can pardon himself, or he may order the Justice Department to stop investigating him. Whatever happens, Donald Trump can do it. That’s why Republicans are better than Democrats. We can do whatever we want, because power will bring more power, and we have courts.

1 Like

You are correct as to the law, but whether this is appropriately a national emergency is a matter of debate.

But then again, since Trump is giving the Presidential Medal of Freedom to campaign contributors, a National Emergency to make sure Ann Coulter does not insult his manhood would be consistent with Trumpian governance.

If the President declares that the wall is solely his effort, do you believe he should sign a Continuing Resolution to reopen the government?

1 Like

Yes. He should definitely invoke emergency powers. I would love to see that.

One might say he would invoke a national emergency to enable him to do this without involving the legislature.

TSA inspectors secretly striking could cause a national emergency.

The debate took place 35 years ago when 2.5 million illegal entrants were granted amnesty in in return for a guarantee to build a wall, secure our border and discourage illegal immigration.

And here we are today, almost 35 years later, and still no adequate protection at our border, nor measures taken to discourage illegal immigration or abuses of visa overstays. But we do have 10-15 million new illegal entrants, and the devastating social and economic impact which results, and is suffered by American citizens!

Maybe, just maybe, President Trump’s unwillingness to budge, will force members of Congress to act like adults and solve this problem once and for all.

JWK

Illegal immigration is now costing American citizens over $18 billion a year in healthcare costs alone, far more than the measly $5 billion asked for to build a wall! LINK

YES he should!

And the fence in that deal was 99.5% completed

By May 2011, DHS reported completing 649 miles of fencing (99.5% of the 652 miles planned). The barrier was made up of 299 miles of vehicle barriers and 350 miles of pedestrian fence

2 Likes

I think the continental US should be under a giant dome like in that Stephen King book.

2 Likes

Couldn’t people just dig a tunnel under it, the same way that they dig tunnels under the border wall right now?

It didn’t work. I can’t remember why.

I bet it had something to do with tunnels.

More to do with science fiction. Like the trump presidency - without the science.

7 Likes

You are wrong. The guarantee was to secure the border and discourage illegal immigration, and not the building of a 3 foot high barbed wire fence with nothing to discourage illegal immigration. I remember the arguments quite well, because I spent many hours on Capitol Hill at the time. President Reagan was warned the guarantee would never come. He later regretted granting amnesty and believing Congress would actually deliver on its promise.

JWK

But then Mexico won’t pay for it like you promised Trump. Lying SOB!!!

1 Like

Odd. You would think that anyone depending on Congress to do the same thing today would take note, and realize it’s not going to happen.

You remember it so well that you didn’t even get the right President (or decade). :rofl:

The Secure Fence Act of 2003 was not negotiated by Reagan and it did indeed follow the Border Patrol recommendations

1 Like

How would declaring a National Emergency build a wall?

1 Like

I’m still waiting for the answer on what the emergency is.