Should doctors and nurses be held to the same standard as police officers?

There isn’t? What makes you say that? Why wouldn’t doctors and nurses try to protect their colleagues just like cops do?

Right that why i noted that my definition deals with the legal standard not the definition of medmal.

1 Like

When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.

1 Like

I don’t get this. Doctors and hospital get sued all the time. And they can go to jail also.

There isn’t one. Stop making things up.

Well that’s not true at all medical records are vanished and edited all the time. It’s rare but it most definitely happens

1 Like

Complaining about extrapolations? :rofl:

“Does it make sense that police are held to a higher standard?”

Absolutely not.

Problems in medicine start long before MDs become licensed, though.

I highly recommend this read:

https://www.amazon.com/Blind-Eye-Terrifying-Doctor-Murder/dp/0684865637

It’s a very enlightening read about a particular physician who made it through the cracks to poison a number of his colleagues and patients.

Granted, not to many RNs, MDs or doctors in other schools of medicine are mass murderers as was Dr. Swango.

Part of the story, though, is how difficult it is even when a medical student is showing outright carelessness to expel him or her from medical school.

That’s where the problems start in not weeding out the most problematic students.

You make such a compelling argument, how can I argue with it? :grinning:

I didn’t make anything up, I asked you three questions.

1 Like

Amazing.

Huh??

You didn’t read your links?

Here’s one for you.

Analyzing medical death rate data over an eight-year period, Johns Hopkins patient safety experts have calculated that more than 250,000 deaths per year are due to medical error in the U.S. Their figure, published May 3 in The BMJ, surpasses the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC’s) third leading cause of death — respiratory disease, which kills close to 150,000 people per year.

Johns Hopkins ok as a source?

1 Like

pure speculation.

interesting anti-police narrative.

guess i shouldnt be surprised.

1 Like

He’s right.

yet people still call the PO-lice. huh

Sure. That article came out in 2016 and cites the same study that all of the other articles from that time period cite, the study that caused such a media frenzy. The article in the OP cites the same study to reach its conclusion. Since then, other studies have suggested that the number is overblown and medical errors cause fewer deaths than the Johns Hopkins study concluded.

From the article:

Ever since the publication of the infamous 2016 BMJ opinion piece by Makary claiming medical error should be considered the third leading cause of death in the US, the debate on the true incidence of deaths caused by medical error has been raging. Many, including me, felt the Makary estimate of 251,000 deaths per year from medical error was grossly inflated. For example, Makary extrapolated the number of deaths from three outdated studies with a total of just 35 deaths, and medical error was not well-defined.

Yes, after a crime has been committed, rarely before.

1 Like

Yes, it came out from Johns Hopkins.

And your counter link decried extrapolation as a model.

You haven’t “debunked” anything yet.

There you go.