Should doctors and nurses be held to the same standard as police officers?

A police officer was recently tried and convicted on negligent homicide charges when she accidentally fired her gun instead of a taser. She faces now years in prison.

For every person killed by police, hundreds are killed as a result of mistakes by doctors, nurses, and other medical staff. Estimates are that 250,000 to 440,000 people die each year in the US as a result of these avoidable errors.

. . . a death due to medical error as one that is caused by inadequately skilled staff, error in judgment or care, a system defect or a preventable adverse effect. This includes computer breakdowns, mix-ups with the doses or types of medications administered to patients and surgical complications that go undiagnosed.

While doctors and nurses are frequently sued for malpractice, they almost never face criminal charges for negligence or errors. Should that change?

Does it make sense that police are held to a higher standard?

2 Likes

absolutely they should be held to same standard they put their asses on the line for scumbags like Floyd

let me clarify…

officers should have the same leniency as drs etc

1 Like

Doctors are actually trying to help you, so yes. No reason to breathe down their neck unless they’re criminally negligent.

The police are just collecting taxes with a bad attitude, so they don’t deserve the same grace.

1 Like

In the Potter case, the police officer yelled that she had a taser before firing. It is clear that she fired her gun accidentally.

Every nurse or doctor who accidentally gives someone the wrong medication or the wrong dose should logically face criminal charges under the law used to convict Potter.’

My opinion is that the law should be rewritten to prevent convictions for accidents such as this.The people who should face criminal charges are hospital officials or police chiefs who knowingly keep defective systems that result a high risk of dangerous mistakes, but they rarely face any consequences.

2 Likes

i agree with you

but the argument will be that police will hide behind this and be reckless. i disagree

they are trying to protect you from scumbags while putting their lives in danger

but i dont hate police so…

1 Like

Medical workers are already held to a much higher standard than cops anyway.

Imagine a nurse stepping on the neck of every patient that’s slightly uncooperative. Choke slamming grandma just because she wouldn’t take medicine the first time asked. They would be fired. A cop gets his boots tongue-shined for the same thing

1 Like

You have something to learn about the medical institution. $$$$$

1 Like

You’ve posted similar statistics before, and I pointed out then that the study you cited has been widely discredited.

i believe medical malpractice, some of it gross negligence, causes way more death and injury than law enforce negligence

3 Likes

Yeah, I agree, medical errors cause many deaths and other serious problems, I just don’t think they’re the third leading cause of death in the US. And convincing people that your doctor is likely to screw up and kill you can prevent people from getting needed medical care.

As for the OP, I don’t think doctors and nurses should be charged with crimes for honest mistakes, and I think the Potter conviction is too harsh.

1 Like

Not turning over an immobile patient and causing massive bed sores and sepsis is just as bad. That being said the op is absolutely ridiculous because it flies in the face of years of tort reform pushed for by conservatives.

Is there anything you guys actually believe?

2 Likes

One of the major causes of death is infection. When bodies are opened bacteria are gonna enter the body. The biggest source of mrsa infections are hospitals. There is no way to prevent that.

Also medical errors are not the same thing as medical malpractice. It’s a legal distinction but still

I mean this whole thread is another one where you guys have completely thrown yet another position under the bus

Without tort reform doctors insurance rates will sky rocket!!!

Let’s reform medmal litigation to allow doctors to be sued more!

Judt amazing

Yes, the majority of medical errors should not be crimes, in my opinion. Medical malpractice constitutes an improper or illegal treatment, or negligence, which obviously should be crimes, but I think those cases are relatively rare.

No medical Malpractice is a standard higher than negligence. Unfortunately medicine is far from being an exact science and it should remain that only when doctors actually deviate from the standard of care that they can be sued.

If the standard is lowered then there will be chaos.

Except police will protect bad cops. You heard of blue wall of silence.

There is no such thing in medical field.

I’m not an expert, but ABPLA says:

Medical malpractice occurs when a hospital, doctor or other health care professional, through a negligent act or omission, causes an injury to a patient. The negligence might be the result of errors in diagnosis, treatment, aftercare or health management.

https://www.abpla.org/what-is-malpractice

They are not trying to protect you from anything. That’s not their job description. That’s idealization of what law enforcement agencies do.