Should Convicted Felons be Allowed to Vote?

I would agree on the surface of things, but the whole case was ugly from start to finish and I was left seeing no good guys and everyone was a victim. Sad story indeed. Prison or no prison though, I hope she’s getting all the therapy she can.

How do you figure?

Because most convicted felons come from and return to poverty, where their income tax liability is negative, giving them free money at the end of the year just for filing a a tax form.

Correct sir.

They already can vote in many states. I think it should be consistent across the country and yes, they should get their voting rights back once they finish their time and parole/probation.

I’m pretty sure in my state they get their voting rights restored two years after finishing the above.

Start on Page 8 here.

http://cepr.net/documents/publications/ex-offenders-2010-11.pdf

There choices are usually limited to minimum wage and/or returning to crime.

And how does being a convicted felon stop anyone from registering or voting? How can a town clerk find a felony conviction? Is there some central database? I’ve never understood that.

Of course there’s a database, a huge one. Every state has one as do the feds.

When you get pulled over and the cop takes your License and goes back to his car what do you think he’s doing with it?

Among other things he’s running a criminal background and warrant check.

But town clerks don’t do that when you register to vote, do they?

A town clerk can’t check all 50 states plus fed?

Most people may not remember, but I’m also a convicted felon.

16 years ago, I was in possession of a stolen vehicle. I didn’t steal it, but pretty much knew it had to be hot. We were joyriding around Kansas City when we stopped by a buddy’s house to get high. My friend end I ended up passing out in the car parked on the side of the road. I woke up with a cop tapping on my shoulder. Being the driver, I was charged with grand theft auto, which at the time, for a first time offender, the sentence could’ve been anywhere from 9 to 14 months up state.

By the grace of God, my public defender was able to see in the police report that the vehicle’s ignition was not on nor was the engine running, so therefore, they could not charge me with stealing it, only for being in possession of it. Weird loop hole, but I was happy to take it, since the maximum sentence for that was up to 7 months in county lockup.

I can still legally own firearms because of the maximum sentencing allowable for the crime, but I am also flagged to this day by NICS and it always takes two weeks before the FFL can legally make the sale.

Oddly enough, between the felony and now, I was in the Infantry and was issued all sorts of automatic killing machines, both ballistic and ordnance. lol

They can check the state database and run a BCI records check.

That may be how it is now. When I got my ID stolen the laws were different. I can never separate his deeds from my record.

It’s how the law has been for more than twenty years.

That’s an interesting take. :slight_smile:

It is not how the law was in 1991.

I have been there and done that and got the permanent record thanks to that dirt bag.

It started in Arizona but went down in Texas where he was sentenced, tried, and convicted using my complete ID.

The Texas DA who prosecuted him, finally using his own ID, was quite explicit, the court records for the crimes he committed as me could never be altered or expunged.

The best I got was a letter from the DA explaining the ordeal that I could carry with me in case I ever got in hot water with a ticket or anything like that.

Any record can be expunged Lou especially if you can prove you were not the one who committed the crime.

Uh, nope. Not in Texas. Not at the time this all went down.

Sorry, but I will trust the Texas DA’s word that that was the case.

I agree.