Should Convicted Felons be Allowed to Vote?

Never? After they serve their time? Some time after that? What says you?

• They should NEVER be allowed to vote again.
  • They should be allowed to vote after they have served their time.
  • There should be a “cool down” period until they can vote again.
  • Only certain types of felonies should prohibit someone from ever voting again.
  • All prisoners, parolees, and convicts should have the right to vote no matter what.

0 voters

I don’t think murderers should ever be allowed to vote again, since they permanently took that right away from their victim(s).

3 Likes

I agree.

I would include convicted rapists of all types.

They also permanently took much from their victims.

While I have absolutely no sympathy or empathy for sexual offenders, the lifelong prohibition from voting doesn’t seem to fit the crime. The victim is still alive to do so.

If someone commits aggravated assault/attempted murder, etc., with a firearm, I’m not against them losing the right to own one for the rest of their life.

That’s my line of thought anyway. There’s prolly a slippery slope in that too.

I think some felons should after earning back their rights by serving their time and proving for a considerable period after release they are truly reformed should have their rights restored.

No one should lose their rights for any offense that is not a felony.

We have felonized far too much behavior and need criminal justice reforms to address that.

1 Like

If there was any way to make restitution I might feel as you.

A rapist forever takes away the victims mental well being. Especially for child victims of rape.

“Some Felons”.

True, but the offender’s well-being for a felony of that level (registered sex offender) will also forever be impacted. No one will want to live near him, and he will always be left looking over his shoulder wondering if some altruist is gonna take his number. And then there’s trying to get a job as a sex offender.

They’re pretty ■■■■■■ (puns intended) as it is. We’ve gotten pretty tough on crime since the 80’s. lol

I find it insane that a misdemeanor domestic assault can get someone out of jail the same day or week on their own recognizance, but they get flagged in the NICS forever.

If it’s not bad enough to keep them locked up, it’s not bad enough to give them a prison sentence, it’s not bad enough to punish them forever with something unrelated to the crime.

How about for someone with their ID forever in the NICS despite not having committed any crime?

Like me.

After time is served of course their rights should be restored. That will never happen of course.

1 Like

Well, that’s obviously even worse. lol

Good to see you again old friend. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Even worse the law automatically presumes the guy is guilty if there’s a man and woman involved.

I know a guy that was out over 50k defending a case in which his crazy, doped up X was attacking him and he simply restrained her by grabbing her arms.

His career would have been over at 28 if he hadn’t beaten the charge and barely did on a technicality.

Yeah. It is. The only thing that has saved me from jail a few times was that the dude who stole my ID was black.

The only way you’d have such a flag would be an involuntary commitment.

Even that can be waived.

The one time Lou thought out loud, “Thank God I’m not a black man!” :rofl: :razz:

1 Like

No razz smiley? :thinking:

1 Like

This scenario happened to a male friend of mine. NY didn’t work out so well for her crazy ass so she filed again in a different state on the opposite end of the country.

Thats too black and white. There is a convicted rapist in community who went to prison for his “crime.” He was 23 and he got his 16 year old girlfriend pregnant. She was very willing but legally unable to give consent.
Feel how you want about that but here are the facts since then. He did a year in prison before being paroled. He had to register for life as a sex offender. Its been nearly 20 years now since this happened and he’s married to his “victim.” She’s in her late 30’s and he’s in his 40’s. They have had a few more children. Other than some minor traffic stuff he’s not been in trouble since. Yet he’s a convicted felon, a registered sex offender, and his crime of record is rape as there is no distinction in our state code between rape and statutory rape.

Should he be allowed to earn back his voting rights in some way? Should he be able to get off the sex offender list, especially seeing as his now nearly 40 year old “victim” clearly is on his side?