Should 18 year olds be able to purchase handguns?

When weapons storage is compromised it’s a big deal and always an inside job. It happens and when it does when caught that soldier does some serious stockade time.

I’m not sure how that has anything to do with the topic. I bought a 30-06 rifle from a gun store when I was 16 without even having to show an ID, and I bought a 44 magnum revolver when I was 19 with no background check. So go ahead and ask me, how many people did I shoot or even threaten with those guns?

2 Likes

Lotta money in ammunition these days. I expect there is a lot of temptation amongst the troops.

I trust an 18 year old with a gun far more than I trust any progressive with access to the public purse.

5 Likes

What state?
What year?

It doesn’t matter. The point is, guns don’t commit crimes, people do.

Well it does really. I know in many western and southern states 35-40 or more years ago teens could buy hunting rifles at Sears & Roebuck. Handgun purchases by an 18 or 19 year old?
I’m just curious.

Ironically, your post indicates that you agree with me. :wink:

If you’re old enough to fight and die for this country, you’re old enough for ALL Constitutional rights.

1 Like

I think more than “fully developed”, I think it’s a line from where we need to have responsibility. 18 is ideal for me as well but waiting until they’re fully developed isn’t really a rational solution. Some Liberals I’ve met never get there. :smiley:

2 Likes

Well ok then.

If that person was taught to respect and treat the gun with respect, why not?

1 Like

Right on! :gun: pew! Pew!

4 Likes

I am disappointed in the lack of hoplophobe heads exploding.

3 Likes

Good. It’s called a Right, and it’s the only one that Shall Not Be Infringed. :person_shrugging:

3 Likes

What’s he difference between 18 and 17. Or 16. Or 12?

In the context of :
the decision, Justice Clarence Thomas changed the standard by which such laws must be considered, asserting that they must be “consistent with this Nation’s historical tradition” and “with the Second Amendment’s text and historical understanding.”

ability to enlist

1 Like

Age of majority.

“Age of majority.” The age at which one will be subject to the full legal rights and responsibilities of an adult. The right to keep and bear arms is an adult right.

Is that consistent with the nation’s historic tradition?

I really don’t know.

Was there an age of majority back then?