Shhh . . . 2nd New US Nuclear Reactor Since 2016 Starts Up After Delays

From Bloomberg

The first new US nuclear reactor since 2016 has begun splitting atoms, a key milestone that comes after years of delays and billions of dollars in cost overruns.

Startup testing will continue at Unit 3 of Southern Co.’s Vogtle plant in Georgia, which is slated to start producing electricity and enter commercial operation in May or June, the company said in a statement Monday. The company delayed Vogtle’s in-service date and took a $201 million charge on the project last month.

The last commercial-scale US reactor to start up was Tennessee Valley Authority’s Watts Bar 2 seven years ago.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-03-06/first-new-us-nuclear-reactor-since-2016-starts-up-after-delays

1 Like

Video via twitter

1 Like

Great news and you are correct…oddly quiet from the media.

2 Likes

If you like nuclear, you should hope it stays quiet. It’s an embarrassing project.

The cost of the two units have climbed from its original estimate of $14 billion to close to $35 billion.

The total cost of the project to build a third and fourth reactor at Vogtle will cost all its owners more than $30 billion. Georgia Power owns 45.7% of the project, while Oglethorpe Power Corp. owns 30%, the Municipal Electric Authority of Georgia owns 22.7% and the city of Dalton owns 1.6%.

that’s not “embarrassing” that’s “growing pains” for the first new ap1000 reactor in US going critical.

what IS embarrassing are things like leftists idiots in Calif shutting down plants while EV’s line up to charge their cars

5 Likes

right. and if there werent cost overruns we wouldnt have head about it at all

1 Like

you know what would help with not doubling the cost and time to build nukes - making some changes in the babified NRC

just a lil fyi for ya

No.

$20,000,000,000 of overruns–more than 150% over budget–is embarrassing.

$35,000,000,000 for less than 2500MW.

Yes it is
I am glad they finally have it up and running.
I hope they learn from these mistakes and do better the next 20 times.

When I read the articles one delay ws for a leaky valve and one was for a vibrating pipe. I am thinking maybe these are things that engineers and scientists can learn to prevent.

What do you think?

2 Likes

They’re going to have a hard time sweet-talking policymakers and investors for future projects with 11 digits margins of error on their cost estimates. They won’t get 20 more chances in any democratic society.

… he said … dripping with glee.

1 Like

There is a honest case for nuclear power, as a expensive but worthwhile national security interest.

Fleecing ratepayers and taxpayers at the state level won’t win any future customers.

1 Like

Depends on whether the decision is made logically or with falsehoods and politics.
I once heard of a movie set that shut down and cost $30,000 a day because a single actor didn’t show up. It did not lead to a permanent ban on movies or actor or anything.

I personally know of a $500,000/day wholesale club that shut down for a day because of a faulty fire extinguisher in the rotisserie chicken area.
Only a moron would look at that and say

• no more fire extinguishers ever, or
  • no more chickens ever, or
  • no more wholesale clubs ever.

Believe it . . . or pretend you don’t it is possible to cook chickens and sell them
and we should not shape policy based on what liberals can pretend they don’t understand.

1 Like

I once heard of a country that opened it’s borders giving free hotels, education and medical care to all of those who had crossed over either seeking “asylum” or illegally.

It costs that country about 20 billion per year. Yet, many of the people of that country didn’t care about the cost to taxpayers but were very concerned about other things such as cost overruns on a nuclear power plant calling it “embarrassing”.

2 Likes

Shhhhh
money matters only sometimes.

1 Like

1 Like

And to think we got it for 35 billion to give power to Americans that’s roughly the same amount of money we send to the Ukraine each month for people to kill each other.

4 Likes

I guess folks just don’t understand return on investment. :woman_shrugging:

Build a new home, pay your contractor cost plus. Now, there is a shortage on lumber and other materials causing prices to skyrocket. What the original budget for the home was when it started increased exponentially.

:woman_shrugging:

2 Likes
3 Likes

You’d think something that finally benefits Americans would be celebrated. There really is an “America Last” mentality out there. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes