Shhh . . . 2nd New US Nuclear Reactor Since 2016 Starts Up After Delays

Maybe that isn’t embarrassing because it’s “green”? Maybe those projects will be celebrated for having cost overruns?

1 Like

It certainly does seem to be selective outrage. . . again.

We need to factory produce small portable reactors. That way you only have to go through regulatory red tape once and then can make as many more as you like without going through more red tape.

That needs to be fast tracked. Only way we will get enough reactors going to make a difference.

1 Like

Nuclear is green, by carbon measurements.

It might not be green because of feelings though.

Why did it over run?

Union contractors.
You have to pay them full 40 hours/week even when you’re just waiting for a new valve to arrive during a supply chain crisis.

I imagine ever-changing and inconsistent regulatory requirements might have played a small role.

1 Like

They could have thrown up 6 more of these around the country for what the taxpayers have given the dude in the track suit.

2 Likes

The articles @Auto linked gave two examples
First article

In a filing to the SEC on Wednesday, Georgia Power’s parent company, The Southern Company, wrote that engineers “identified, and is in the process of remediating, vibrations associated with certain piping within the cooling system.”

I once had a house that every time we turned on the garden hose, the pipes rattled violently for a while. Took several calls to several plumbers. It turned out to be a small pinhole leak in the piping under the house.

It is not something that could be tolerated in a nuclear power plant, but it certainly does not show that cooling systems should be outlawed or that cooling systems at electrical plants should never be funded or whatever. In a similar fashion the rattling pipe at my house did not indicate “houses should never be built.”

and
Second article

“We will continue to take the time to get it right and will not sacrifice safety or quality to meet the schedule,” Fanning told investors on a conference call Thursday.

Fanning told investors that other issues causing delays included a slowly dripping valve that required a now-completed repair

Here again no evidence that valves should be outlawed. No evidence that valves should be outlawed at electrical plants.

Yes, we need nuke reactors to save the whales from wind farms.

2 Likes

No you dont.

You better be using expensive labor for a nuke plant too.

Same deal when you build highways.

1 Like

Maybe some contractors can have deals set up for a guaranteed 40 on certain projects, not going to say that cant happen.

For the vast majority of union contractors doing infrastructure work that is defintely not normal. You get paid a high hourly wage but if you arent working you arent getting paid.

“Paid for the day unless you are formally laid-off” is the way I always heard it with government contractors. Union or not contractors are not allowed to undercut the local union which is usually based on big city working conditions and pay rates.

just think of it as one of many many payments sent to dear mother ukraine

over-bearing reqs

1 Like

lots of effort def going into these true

and to keep corruptocrats in power

It’s estimated Georgia Power customers could have to pay anywhere from nine to 14% more on their bill if the Georgia Public Service Commission approves Georgia Power’s request for customers to pay more for the project. That would cost the average household $400 more a year.

I don’t care if they’re taking 10 cents, it’s my money, my retirement money. The real costs of Vogtle have not even touched people yet,” said Searfoss.

State lawmakers are getting involved. Rep. Becky Evans sponsored a bipartisan resolution urging the Public Service Commission not to pass on the cost to consumers.

“Georgia Power customers should not have to pay that burden. Georgia Power shareholders should be paying that burden,” said Rep. Evans.

A U.S. Department of Energy report details Vogtle’s other failings: Work began with incomplete designs and managers repeatedly failed to realistically schedule tasks. Experienced workers were in short supply and defective work often had to be redone

The nuclear industry does it to themselves.

Georgia Power customers will probably be the last Americans to get fleeced by the AP1000 if these costs get passed on to ratepayers.

1 Like

Bad news," said Merci Treaster, a Georgia Power customer. “It’s another increase with everything else increasing and the cost of food and things like that.”

“It’s unreasonable. We’re experiencing so many rate increases within a short period of time,” Scott said. “This would hurt quite a few people. When I look at my bill, I say what do I need to do to meet this cost monthly?”

“It hurts me a lot,” said Patrick Garrett. “It’s already high enough.”

The rate increase is projected to add $8.95 a month to a typical residential customer’s current monthly bill of $157. It would take effect in the first month after Vogtle’s Unit 4 begins commercial operation, projected to be sometime in March. A $5.42 rate increase already took effect when Unit 3 began operating over the summer.

Calculations show Vogtle’s electricity will never be cheaper than other sources Georgia Power could have chosen, even after the federal government reduced borrowing costs by guaranteeing repayment of $12 billion in loans. Yet the company and regulators say Vogtle was the right choice.

The Georgia Public Service Commission just approved the largest rate increase in state history,” said Patty Durand, a Democrat and possible candidate for the commission.

“You can’t go back to 2009 and make a decision based on everything that happened,” [Republican Commission Chairman Jason Shaw] said.

This is not a good look for the industry.