Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. When someone says ‘science teaches such and such’, he is using the word incorrectly. Science doesn’t teach it; experience teaches it”–Dr. Richard Feynman
Richard Feynman’s Philosophy of Science | Issue 114 | Philosophy Now

The experts in Washington recently changed the party line on masking and testing.

Where is the data to support the change? Or are we supposed to trust the experts who have been wrong so many times before?

Is the change in masking based on the experience of the Texas House Democrats who infected each other and staff in Washington? If so why is the White House refusing to provide details about the outbreak?

The Biden administration is proposing to require federal employees to either get vaccinated or else submit to testing twice a week; I assume that there are already policies to test people with COVID symptoms.

If vaccinated persons are transmitting the virus, aren’t they the ones who should be tested regularly since they may be more likely to have be infectious without obvious symptoms?

Or is the testing program simply a form of harassment?

1 Like

I’m about sick to death of the mask mandates. Do this, don’t do that. Two weeks to fatten the curve, which turns into shutting down businesses and people losing their livelihoods.

I’ve had many years of eat meat, don’t eat meat. Don’t eat eggs, do eat eggs. Avocados are bad for you, no they aren’t they are super foods.

Global cooling, the ice age is coming!

Global warming, you’re all going to die in 12 years!

The experts are great at one thing and that is mental whiplash.

1 Like

With such disdain for science one would wonder whether one should take a flight in an aeroplane, use a lift, use a bridge, etc. etc.

2 Likes

What does engineering have to do with what I posted?

Actually it is just the opposite. The experts said that it would take a million years before men would fly. Two bicycle mechanics proved the experts wrong.

Hence, if it requires, say, a thousand years to fit for easy flight a bird which started with rudimentary wings, or ten thousand for one which started with no wings at all and had to sprout them ab initio, it might be assumed that the flying machine which will really fly might be evolved by the combined and continuous efforts of mathematicians and mechanicians in from one million to ten million years --provided, of course, we can meanwhile eliminate such little drawbacks and embarrassments as the existing relation between weight and strength in inorganic materials. [Emphasis added.]

The experts decided early on that the only solution to COVID is to vaccinate everyone. The reality is that the vaccines only provide temporary immunity at best and come with significant side effects. The sudden push for force vaccinations and censorship shows confirms that they experts realize that the evidence is piling up against their orthodoxy.

2 Likes

A newspaper editor is an “expert”?

Get vaccinated. Wear masks inside crowded spaces.

That’s it. That’s the list.

2 Likes

Tyranny.

2 Likes

Is Jen Psaki an expert?

They both are quoting the “consensus of experts” to justify their assertions. The difference in 1903 was that the New York Times was not trying to outlaw flying machines.

Exactly…

The experts today have become so political…the CDC strikes me as just an arm of the control freak left.

2 Likes

It’s not disdain for science, it is science.

I have no problems with either if you choose to do so.

We don’t need the nanny state sending SWAT teams to enforce their edicts. They have provided zero evidence to support the changes.

2 Likes

Bad advice. Should read, get vaccinated if you are at risk, avoid crowded spaces if at all possible and wear a mask if it isn’t.

Then why all the faux drama and push back? Do you want the pandemic to end? Do you want things to go back to normal? Then get vaccinated and wear masks inside crowded areas.

1 Like

I am curious as to why I have seen this particular Feynman quote that is in the OP pop up.

If anyone has read any Feynman, they would know that he is talking about to not simply follow the experts but to look at the evidence. That if the evidence is more than adequate to overturn the scientific consensus then that is the new consensus.

He isn’t saying don’t trust the experts because I don’t wanna wear a mask during a pandemic.

1 Like

Umm pretty sure we were just told the vaccinated can’t go back to normal.

2 Likes

Why are people so shocked that guidance changes as the pandemic changes? Why is this so mind boggling for people?

1 Like

Actual perhaps daily Chinese-style anal testing of the White House experts until they leave the country alone could be a benefit.

Their opinions keep getting sillier and sillier, and their proposed solutions keep getting more and more tyrannical.

Get vaccinated. Wear masks inside while in crowded areas.

Don’t do those things if you want the pandemic to last longer. If you want things to return to normal, get vaccinated and wear masks inside while in crowded areas.

Can’t you read the signs?