Schumer Screwed Up

.^
IMHO

After the main witness vote he spent Friday evening with - IIRC - 4 amendments on witnesses and documents. Instead of submitting 4 amendments for witnesses and documents he should have submitted an amendment to the Rules of Impeachment trial that AFTER the votes on the articles that a motion for formal Senate Censure was in order based on those articles.

That way all those Senators that said “ya, he did it, it’s wrong, but doesn’t rise to the level of impeachment” could vote to chastise the Presidents actions to advance his reelection campaign in a dirt-for-arms tactic.

Censure is a formal action to rebuke the actions of an official that the Senate can adopt to state publicly that the Presidents actions are wrong, but don’t rise to the level of impeachment, and there are no repercussions to the President - he isn’t removed from office nor barred from running for reelection.
Minority Leader Schumer, knowing that witness votes would fail, nowing that that McConnell will not allow conviction on impeachment - you screwed up. Should have gone for a Censure Amendment.
.WW, PHS

What makes you think that would have passed?

Do you really think the animus against a successful President is constructive and winning support?

I think it is time for D leadership to take a sincere look at what they are doing and what they need to do to win support.

Increased benefits won’t work.

Increased value to workers will.

I am more surprised Pelosi did not think of it and demand it.

:skunk:

#1 Public statements from multiple GOP Senators such as Alexander, Murkowski, Portman, Rubio, and others.

#2 Censure dose not require 2/3 vote for approval just a simple majority. There are 4 Senators right there on record saying the Presidents use of the Oval Office for personal gain wasn’t impeachable but wrong. Add Romney and Collins and that’s 6 to join with the DEMs and the amendment would have passed.

#3 Like I said, Schumer screwed up.
.WW, PHS

1 Like

Should’a could’a would’a. :rofl:

Wrong does no necessarily mean that a censure on top of what Trump has already been publicly vilified on would be an affirmative vote.

The House brought a mess to the Senate…never forget this.

If the HOUSE had done a censure…They would have fared much better. Wrong move by Pelosi.

3 Likes

Personally, I think Pelosi screwed up as well. She rushed the whole impeachment thing through, without waiting for the courts on the whole subpoena thing. She could have then had the witnesses testify in the House so this didn’t even become an issue in the Senate.

Of course, with it being this close to an election, I think the whole impeachment thing was a bad idea right now. Also, if she was going to impeach, why not include the findings of the Mueller report? There was plenty of documented dirt in there.

Bad strategy all around.

I have no doubt Donald Trump would use the power of his office to destroy the careers of any Republican who would vote to censure him. Any Republican who would vote to censure the president would certainly be punished by their constituents.

Nothing Donald Trump did was wrong. I hope he does it again and again so that Democrats get red in the face. It’s hilarious.

2 Likes

I’ve been saying it from Day 1. Good to see you come around. :wink:

It would have passed. The Senate likes to admonish bad behavior.

The House didn’t have an impeachment case, they went crazy. They could have easily got a joint censure of Trump.

2 Likes

Exactly. But I don’t think it was Pelosi. She knew and tried to tell them.

She didn’t try hard enough.

Now they know. Now they have a leadership vacuum parading through Iowa for the chance to give a concession speech to a Trump re-election.

1 Like

Good thread @WorldWatcher

Just because they made those public statements doesn’t mean they’d vote to censure Trump.

^^^^
True but then they’d have some splan’n to do. :open_mouth:
.WW, PHS

Censure was appropriate for the case. Not impeachment, censure.

I would have supported censure.

I look forward to Secretary of Foreign Interference Holder helping Pres. Sanders win his second term.

Well stated.

1 Like

Pelosi and her partisan House handed.a bag of worthless owl dung to the Senate putting Schumer’s minority in a doomed position.
The House then anointed two of the preparers of the debacle as “managers” during the Senate trial proceedings!
The House did the job of amateurs in an impeachment proceeding then insisted the Senate clear away the wreckage of their folly and do the job correctly essentially leaving Schumer holding the bag. Oh the Dems will circle the wagons and give it a go again but it will be interesting to see who the players will be and how Chuck and Nancy play together moving forward.

2 Likes

No they wouldn’t.