SARS-like virus spreading rapidly in China; cities quarantined; cases in US

You as well?

Time to cancel some elections.

Yeah, we usually hit them up once or twice a month. Largely depends on how cold it is and how much my wife wants egg drop soup and how badly neither of us want to cook. I enjoy the egg rolls and lo mein.

I havent had decent chinese since I left boston.
Where Iā€™m located they dont even make terrakyi sticks in this areaā€¦

Iā€™m like what in 7 hells is this placeā€¦of course they also think arbyā€™s makes good roast beef.

I think chicken pox is equatable at this point. Largely harmless to the young, deadly to the elderly/middle aged.

More like influenza with similar effects.

The rate is closer to 10% for closed cases.

I saw that there were 70k cases, possibly double that.

Edit, I guess that would be the closed + active?

Nah common cold

2 Likes

I think both numbers are inaccurate right now, dividing the total cases by deaths (while those cases are not resolved) skews it low, and deaths by total outcomes skews it high. I think it will be somewhere in the middle when all is said and done (between 2% and 9%).

It has killed some medical professionals and other noteworthy cases that are more than just the sick and elderly.

Edit: Arghā€¦ I canā€™t type tonight.

You have to consider where it is atm. Its chinaā€¦a semi closed off over population with a bunch of poor people.

Like Ebola hit in Africa. Numbers are gonna spike because of this situation.

When it wipes out 2000 americans in a few weeks Iā€™ll be concerned

The fact that itā€™s transmissible asymptomatic is whatā€™s troubling. The mortality rate wonā€™t change with population densities. Equating it to the common cold in terms of transmission shouldnā€™t be calming, necessarily.

We donā€™t know what the current actual mortality rate is because China has been working overtime to fudge the numbers.

I would expect it to go higher as it spreads further and we get more reliable reporting on it from outside of China.

The biggest problem we could face is that our hospitals get completely overcome with cases and there just arenā€™t enough resources to go around.

That is when death tolls could increase substantially.

So far the travel bans and careful quarantine of people returning from China is working but itā€™s ungodly expensive and we have of course very limited quarantine facilities to begin with.

I donā€™t think that itā€™s ultimately going to be quarantined. I agree that itā€™s like the common cold in that regard.

All of the cases that can be identified are being quarantined as are people returning to the US from countries with significant outbreaks.

They are from what I heard earlier today considering cutting or at least cutting way back on flights from Korea now and possibly staring very stringent screening and quarantining of people returning from same.

My pick is that Democrat bureaucrats within these departments are under instructions to sabotage the Trump administrationā€™s attempts to reign in the spread of the virus, so that down the track they can blame Trump for the plague that collapsed the USA economy.
For instance, some jerk in Japan overruled Trumpā€™s instructions not to send infected and uninfected people back to the US on the same plane, putting s plastic and Duct tape barrier between the two groups. Some of these bureaucrats want this virus to spread.

After all, the one world government junkies want the planet radically depopulated AND Trump out. Two birds, one stone.

Youā€™re getting dangerously out in the weeds of conspiracy nut land Paul.

Why? How am I harming myself by listening to Francis Boyle?

Listening to conspiracy nuts causes brain damage and paranoia.