SARS-like virus spreading rapidly in China; cities quarantined; cases in US

When you’re my age, you may feel differently about that. :wink:

Thank you.

Yep. Relatively small. Also, my assumption is there were likely a fair number of these younger people with other medical conditions that contributed to their inability to survive the flu. I’ve got no proof of this belief, just a hunch.

@toreyj01 or @SottoVoce may have more insight here.

I would separate the children and young adultS (17-65 year olds) into two different groups. In children, half of the deaths are in otherwise healthy children, of which 80% were not vaccinated. Young adults are more variable. In non-pandemic years, they tend to be those who are not vaccinated and/or have underlying health issues (diabetes and pulmonary disease being most common). During pandemic years, a new risk factor is no prior exposure to similar strains, reducing adaptive immunity and making even those with good health susceptible to more severe disease (assuming the yearly vaccine has low efficacy).

1 Like

Thanks! I was not even considering non-vaccinated folks. A huge oversight on my part.

Perhaps, but you’d have to evaluate their information just like any source. Are you referring to something in particular?

The CDC? This CDC?
https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1230861263263162370?s=20

2 Likes

Now that is funny.

1 Like

In fact…I have been told by Emergency Room Doctors and patients who have been to ER’s or Urgent Care, that most doctors aren’t even offering the antiviral such as Tamilflu, as they are largely ineffective when not given within 24 to 48 hours. Is this true?

Yes…

@SottoVoce Do you practise law as well? Do you feel you would have the qualifications to do so?

1 Like

Could you post 6 links from “all the other libs suddenly became Doctors” claiming same?

1 Like

I don’t have expertise, but anecdote, but a few years ago I felt myself coming down with what I was pretty sure was flu, so I dutifully made a same day appointment to score some tamiflu. Then had to do a lot of smooth talking to actually get it from a doctor who wasn’t sure I was still in the 24-48 hour range.

:dancer:

1 Like

No. I’m not qualified to practice law and I would be extremely hesitant to give any sort of legal advice except at the most basic of level.

I thought that would be your answer.

This is true. Tamiflu and similar antivirals were believed to be the next big thing in the mid 2000’s. Tamiflu especially was given fairly routinely. We now know it is largely ineffective. If you are without doubt within the first day or two of symptoms, taking it might shorten your illness, but only by a day. If there is any question as to the onset of symptoms, it probably shouldn’t be given and is of marginal benefit anyway.

That’s two so far. Don’t be shy, folks. There’s always a pool of experience and anecdotes for these kinda of questions. lol

Are you talking about me? I have never claimed to be a Doctor and never will, that would be disrespectful to those who spent about 10 years of their lives to become an MD, or DO. …But I am in the health care field…and am responsible for the health and safety of others.

1 Like

Then why hasn’t the influenza been stopped dead in it’s track with this so called prescription medicine. You’d think that no one would die at all if it is such a great medicine.

I’d say that 14,000 sounds about right. For Calendar year 2019 there were 21,000 deaths in the US. That’s January 2019 to December 2019…so that seems about right based on the 2019 annual death stats.

1 Like