Sarah Palin fires back at Sasha Baron Cohen for his Showtime Prank

I think he’s a great actor-but every character he plays sort of has that “Cohen Flamboyance.” A lot like Dane Cook, in that Dane Cook was in some decent movies, but he basically always just played Dane Cook.

Cohen really is a one-trick. The last film of his I saw was The Dictator-it was pretty good. I really liked him in Sweeney Todd-he was perfect for that role. I actually heard The Brothers Grimsby wasn’t too bad, but eh-didn’t look super interesting to me.

I like his acting too. I was thinking only of his own shows and movies.

1 Like

Borat was the first I knew of him. I MAYBE had heard of Ali G, but didn’t know anything about it or him. I saw Borat in the theater with a few friends from college when it came out-we laughed our asses off, and quote it to this day (as well as many other fine comedies, such as Anchorman, Wayne’s World, Bill and Ted, and Step Brothers).

Bruno…I felt dumbfounded when I saw it in the theater. It was a lot more extreme than I expected. He really pushed some boundaries I was surprised, not that the theater only had 8-10 people, but that most of them were much older than I-and they were laughing their asses off.

I waited for The Dictator on RedBox, and I was pleasantly surprised-he dialed things back a lot from Bruno, while still being pretty funny.

1 Like

I’ve seen them all but The Dictator, which I will be sure to check out soon.

Yeah, Borat was all kinds of wonderful.

1 Like

I think he’s actually pretty funny. The man-kini in Borat was hilarious, and so was him wanting to put Pamela Anderson in a sack.

But if he portrayed himself as a wounded warrior, as Palin says he did, that’s crossing the line. You guys don’t have to see it that way, but that’s the way it is.

1 Like

You can only be offended if you allow yourself to be. Sounds pretty snowflakey if you ask me. And jingoistic. If Paula Abdul and Bob Barr can laugh off far worse than was allegedly done to them, then so can you and #PansyPalin #SnowflakeSarah

1 Like

It will be comedy to re-visit this thread when it is obvious that only a fool (cue Palin) would think he was a “wounded warrior”; half his skit is making up a random backgrounds that his victims ignore if it fits their comfort zone/narrative. i.e. “veteran of the postal service”.

How can you be snowflaky and jingoistic at the same time? You know what, have at it. The left can impersonate disabled vets all they want. Whatever makes em feel good, and this one looks like a winner.

Where did he impersonate a disabled vet? Can you show us?

Doesn’t matter if he did or not at this point. Apparently, Dems don’t think it would be wrong if he did. See Forest Gump.

He didn’t portray a disabled vet, so you’re arguing against an event that didn’t happen.

Does the fictional Lt Dan character in Forest Gump upset you?

Has anyone seen the episode yet?

It’s not my argument. Read the thread.

So you made a straw man and then universally applied it, your logic is inmpeccable.

A few posters seem to think that what Cohen is accused of by Palin is “stolen valor.” They don’t understand that the 2005 Stolen Valor act was found to be in violation of the 1st amendment, and it was passed again in 2013, but only to include people who falsely claimed that they had been awarded specific honors or medals (such as the Medal of Honor or Purple Heart).

Using their logic, if Forrest Gump had come out after 2013, then Tom Hanks would have been in violation of the Stolen Valor Act of 2013, as he fraudulently received a Medal of Honor in the film. Forrest Gump, and the character portrayed by Cohen, are fictional characters played by actors who do not actually claim to have received those accolades.

Honestly, I haven’t done a lot of listening the last few days, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it were something coming from right-wing media land.

Cohen has big balls. For better or worse, he’s pushed boundaries and has literally never given two ■■■■■ what people thought-so I’m going to be surprised if he and Showtime aren’t telling the truth. He literally has nothing to lose. He lives on controversy.

Clearly you are confused. I never said what he did was illegal, only despicable.

Pretending to be a disabled veteran for financial gain … arguably stolen valor.

Yes.

Yes. We all know by now. Give it a break.