Sarah Palin fires back at Sasha Baron Cohen for his Showtime Prank

So in your opinion, what type of recognition is typically awarded to a veteran in a wheelchair?

Thanks for the Cohen reminder. Haven’t seen the Ali G Show in a while. Time for a rewatch. He does uncomfortable comedy really well.

Cute question. Do you, perhaps, have any examples of Cohen pretending to be the recipient of any of the awards or medals listed in the Stolen Valor Act of 2013?

Would Tom Hanks have been in violation of The SVA of 2013 had Forrest Gump been made after it was passed?

If that’s your defense, it’s a weak one. You’ve lost.

She should have handled that differently, however, with his little “letter” he posted and mentioning that by “service” he meant “united Parcel” does that not imply that he did himself imply he was in the service initially? And if so, that does give the impression to those who hear that mentioned that it refers to the military. Would be interesting to see what information was actually passed between them.

I’m just not personally a big fan of prank TV. I find it rather stupid.:confused:

1 Like

Andy Rooney, if I recall correctly, took one of Ali G’s routines really seriously, correcting his grammar, et cetera. The uptight were the lifeblood of his humor. Even some of these replies are great.

IF he posed as a wounded warrior, it is implied, and yes, he would be in violation.

Ok, so you DON’T know what the Stolen Valor Act of 2013 says, and you’re just regurgitating the right-wing defense of Palin.

Come on, GW-I want to give you more credit than that, but you’re not making it easy…when you willfully disregard what the law actually says.

No, it wouldn’t be.

Here’s the law. Tell me which part you believe he violated:

https://www.congress.gov/bill/113th-congress/house-bill/258

If you’re going to hold up a work of fiction as a shining example of how stolen valor doesn’t apply if you film it, you’re being purposely obtuse.

If you’re going to hold up a fictional character as a shining example of how stolen valor is applied if you film it, you’re being purposely obtuse.

Here’s the full text of the law on the matter. Tell me which part he violated:

To amend title 18, United States Code, with respect to fraudulent
representations about having received military decorations or
medals. <<NOTE: June 3, 2013 - [H.R. 258]>>

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the 

United States of America in Congress assembled, <<NOTE: Stolen Valor Act
of 2013.>>
SECTION 1. <<NOTE: 18 USC 1 note.>> SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the ``Stolen Valor Act of 2013''.

SEC. 2. FRAUDULENT REPRESENTATIONS ABOUT RECEIPT OF MILITARY
DECORATIONS OR MEDALS.

(a) In General.--Section 704 of title 18, United States Code, is 

amended–
(1) in subsection (a), by striking ``wears,’’; and
(2) so that subsection (b) reads as follows:

``(b) Fraudulent Representations About Receipt of Military 

Decorations or Medals. <<NOTE: Penalties.>> --Whoever, with intent to
obtain money, property, or other tangible benefit, fraudulently holds
oneself out to be a recipient of a decoration or medal described in
subsection (c)(2) or (d) shall be fined under this title, imprisoned not
more than one year, or both.’’.

(b) Addition of Certain Other Medals.--Section 704(d) of title 18, 

United States Code, is amended–
(1) by striking If a decoration'' and inserting the following: (1) In general.–If a decoration’’;
(2) by inserting a combat badge,'' after 1129 of title
10,’’; and
(3) by adding at the end the following:
``(2) Combat badge defined.–In this subsection, the term
`combat badge’ means a Combat Infantryman’s Badge, Combat Action
Badge, Combat Medical Badge, Combat Action Ribbon, or Combat
Action Medal.’’.

(c) Conforming Amendment.--Section 704 of title 18, United States 

Code, is amended in each of subsections (c)(1) and (d) by striking ``or
(b)’’.

Approved June 3, 2013.

And when you can’t, please admit that you were wrong about Stolen Valor and that you’re just mad he apparently stuck it to the poor victim Palin. There would be some dignity in that.

Stolen valor?! Ahahahahahhahaha!

He is a famous comedian who plays fictional characters on film… we going to prosecute everyone in war films now? Thanks for the added comedy… LMAO!

1 Like

That’s what @GWH and @Samm want the law to say.

(PS-your wiki is open)

Imagine the laughs if Palin herself complained about stolen valor in her interview with him. Internally, Cohen would be doing backflips of joy.

Almost as despicable as Palin pretending to be a patriot.

Absolutely hilarious that some are trying to claim what Cohen did was stolen valor.

All palin saw was a veteran she could use to get herself back in the public eye. She did zero due diligence to determine what she was gritting into.

She only has herself to blame for being made to look stupid. Cohen used her vanity against her and good for him.

Reactions like the ones we are seeing in this thread are why Cohen can keep making shows and movies. Despite all of the characters he plays, I think he’s a one-joke comedian.

Did Cohen take money from Palin or something? I’m struggling to figure out this profit angle.